FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle Cook, Round 2: 3.5 Minute Pizzas!

I will try your suggestions. It was my daughters birthday party and we let her friends (8) make thier own pies. I kept telling them they need to be thin. I couldn't stay in the house to help as i needed to stay outside will the grill. As they were making them i was cooking them. They didn't really complain, they ate all they made.

Here is my thought about lowering the grate and putting the firebricks & stone. Would this be like a diffuser, ya'lls thoughts?

Last edited:
You shouldn't need a diffuser if you're going to use firebrick, so that design looks really solid. The pizza pan mounted on the inside of the kettle lid will also help tremendously. The only thing I would add is to line the side of the cooking grate/kettle with HD foil so you have both a solid seal and it makes the "d" shape we've been talking about. With these mods, you should be able to get stone temps of 650+ no problem and the tops of your pizzas will cook perfectly.

I hope you'll give gtsum's dough recipe which I posted- it was excellent! 650 seems to be the perfect stone temp for this dough, BTW.

Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!

QUOTE=BamaRambler;1444332]Here is my thought about lowering the grate and putting the firebricks & stone. Would this be like a diffuser, ya'lls thoughts?[/QUOTE]

How strong is your burner?? If it is a normal burner, you dont need FB and a stone (I use only FB) - I mean, you can use it, but it will take a long time to heat up (I would guess an hour). If you have a 180k BTU burner however, then disregard my comment. By all means give it a try - if you find it taking too long to heat up, then just try it with FB alone...the foil blocking the sides and front gaps will help a lot as well as Moose said

Man.....great looking pies. I just may have to sacrifice the OTS.

......but I just don't know if I can take a saw to that thing.....it was my first charcoal cooker:rolleyes:

Man.....great looking pies. I just may have to sacrifice the OTS.

......but I just don't know if I can take a saw to that thing.....it was my first charcoal cooker:rolleyes:

Looks like it's time to check Craigslist! You can't pass on making one of these pie machines...

Hey guys, I want to dig this back up because I scored a 22" weber for free, have a propane burner, and LOVE pizza!

So I want to do this right, and have been reading threads all night. There is a bunch of info and I want to do it right... can you steer me in the right direction?

I think I want to go right away for the FB method (where you finding it?), looks like I want to close the gaps all around except for the back (proper cut out size?). I also need to trim the lid (again proper cut out size?). I think I also need some form of a deflector on top?

Thanks!
Bryan

Hey guys, I want to dig this back up because I scored a 22" weber for free, have a propane burner, and LOVE pizza!

So I want to do this right, and have been reading threads all night. There is a bunch of info and I want to do it right... can you steer me in the right direction?

I think I want to go right away for the FB method (where you finding it?), looks like I want to close the gaps all around except for the back (proper cut out size?). I also need to trim the lid (again proper cut out size?). I think I also need some form of a deflector on top?

Thanks!
Bryan

Bryan,

In the beginning of my post, you'll find another link which you may find helpful. One downside to firebricks is you will burn WAY MORE propane. If you get the grilled pizza stone from Red Sky, it is the perfect size, and has the perfect "d" shape you need in the back of the kettle which allows air to flow up. Just line the exposed edges with HD aluminum foil to create a seal around the edges of the side of the kettle and you're good to go. This stone is rated to 2300 degrees and will take far more heat than you would ever need to cook a pizza.

You need to lower the "ceiling" of the lid. To do this, mount an 18 inch aluminum pizza pan to the underside of the lid using a screw, washer, and either bolt or wing nut. Doing this will help bring much more heat over the top of the pie as it cooks.

As to the size of the front vent opening, don't make it too big! You don't want too much heat escaping. Mine is about 10 inches across and 2 inches high, which is plenty big.

The whole point of this build is to create a convection effect: the hot air goes up and over the pie through the "d" shape opening in the stone, and the lower ceiling keeps the heat over the top of the pie, forcing the hot air out as it passes directly over your pizza.

You'll also want a heat deflector which goes directly over the burner grate so the bottom of your crust doesn't get crispified (unless you use firebrick, but again, you will be using a lot more propane).

One thing you will have to do, and that is to rotate the pizza a 1/4 turn every 30 seconds. I use a long pair of tongs to do this so I don't have to lower the lid and suffer a quick temp drop.

I researched many different configurations of the pizza kettle for 3 months on other forums, and I have to say, other than two small mods I made after the first cook, I've been blissfully happy with this contraption.

PM me if you like...

Ok, this weekend is the weekend!
I will be building my pizza kettle, any pointers or tips?

Wish me luck!

Bryan

Ok, this weekend is the weekend!
I will be building my pizza kettle, any pointers or tips?

Wish me luck!

Bryan

Read my last post and the ones before it and you'll be fine. The keys are:

Red Sky Weber Grilling Stone
22.5 inch kettle
Use heat diffuser
Lower ceiling of lid with 18 inch pizza pan mounted to top
Get temp of stone to the appropriate amt based on the kind of dough - bread flour has a lower heat threshold than AP

Infrared thermo that reads to 1000 degrees
Rotate pies every 30-45 seconds to ensure even cooking

Use semolina fllour, NOT cornmmeal to dust your peel
Use a wooden peel

Back