Large BGE

BigDBBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi, All Just picked up a large vintage BGE and was wondering if anyone knows how to date these. The fire box does not want to come out and appears to be molded in. I pick this BGE up for $20. and is in nice condition. Thanks for help.:-

Hi, All Just picked up a large vintage BGE and was wondering if anyone knows how to date these. The fire box does not want to come out and appears to be molded in. I pick this BGE up for $20. and is in nice condition. Thanks for help.:-

Molded in or stuck to the bottom? I'm not sure I know of one that has a "permanent" fire box.

Pictures would be very helpful if you have them. If it looks that vintage it may not be a BGE it may be an older Imperial Kamado.

That looks like an Imperial kamado thats been painted over. Not sure about the firebox though.

Looks like an Imperial or similar to me but I'm not an eggspert either. I believe the firebox is supposed to come out. It looks to be intact, not cracked or anything, if it were me I might be inclined just to throw a grate in there and fire it up, I'm not sure I'd want to force it out for fear of the firebox cracking.

Maybe a little grease and a couple cooks might loosen it up even.

It has a sliding vent already, grab a BGE cast iron lid if it didn't come with one and let er rip.

Imperials from what I've seen (mine included) the fire box is sealed in.
I ordered parts this week to rehab mine.. after a long wait.
They don't go as hot either most say don't go over 350, others disagree with that

Good deal you got

I am no expert,looks like a REALLY OLD BGE or one of those other things.The early stuff was made from clay and not ceramic.Fine for lo n slo.For $20,who cares.Good buy.

Back