Blues Hog Sauce

jmill88

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I like this sauce, but it is a little too sweet for my taste. Anyone mix it with another sauce with success? I have heard some using Head Country, but I haven't tried that yet. Thanks

It can be a little sweet, but I still love it anyway. Mixing it with another sauce to try to cut down on the sweetness, for you at least, could work very well. I don't have any suggestions though as I haven't done it myself.

I would recommend you try to sample their newer sauce, Blues Hog Smokey Mountain. It isn't as sweet as their original, adds a bit of a spicy kick (not overwhelming though) as is just generally a great all-around sauce. I may actually prefer it over their original, and I never would have thought that possible.

I started using it in most my sauces, just bc i heard how good it was in the competition world (some say its changing now, but oh well) anyways, ive mixed it with apple juice, blues hog tenn red and have pretty much tried it with any sauce i have. I have learned to like it. i have realized, after its been cooked on the meat, it isnt as crazy sweet. mixes good.

Splash of Tiger Sauce,
2 parts Blues Hog
1 part Head Country Regular
1 part KC Master or Sweet Baby Rays
They go after it
Lickin the plates if you don't watch

I mix it 50/50 with B.H. Tennessee Red. For me and my family and friends, it seems to be the perfect sauce.

It is sweet by itself but its works best with a spicy rub. If I don't use my own rub I use Blues Hog with Tastylicks Ribbit Rib Rub on Ribs, Tastylicks Black Barts Brisket Rub, Plowboys Yardbird on chicken.

50/50 BH original and tennesee red is a pretty perfect base sauce.

smokey mountain is excellent, but i don't care for it much on ribs.

head country IMHO is pretty sweet itself.

Like some of the other post before me, I like it 50/50 Tenn Red because I like the added heat. I have also tried 2/3 BH to 1/3 Tenn Red for those that like it a little sweeter. Start out with small portions and keep adding until you get the flavor/heat that you like.

2/3 BH 1/3 Head Country over Plowboys Yardbird is my go to rib combo.

Thanks for the replies guys. I couldn't find any Head Country in my area, so I picked up some Bone Suckin Sauce. Haven't tried it yet. I guess I will have to experiment with all three tonight on my brand new 18.5 WSM! :-D

I use 50% Tennessee Red and 50% my own sauce which is sweet like Blues Hog and Plowboys Yardbird for Ribs and Pork which has done pretty well in competitions.

sorry for d a question. but anyone on here that sells it ? i can't find it anywhere around me.

Back