The BBQ sauce business

rooftop bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, we have our BBQ sauce in the works. We found our co-packer, approved the test bottle, found our label printer, got our nutrition facts and ingredients list. Got our product approved by the state . But now im lost when it comes to some key factors. Anyone who knows the bussiness and can help well be greatly appreciated.

UPC codes: Do you need to go through GS1 US or can you use one of the other sites that sell there UPC codes. We are looking into having our product local stores.

Business license: What kind of business licence do i need to get, I would also like to use this business for caterting, There well be 4 of us as co owners. Is that a good idea?

Liability insurance: Is it general Liability insurance I need to get and if so how much. Well this cover the product and catering. Any leads to good insurance reps is helpful.

Thanks everyone

Being out in CA, there is no telling what kind of BS you will run into. I'd talk to a lawyer.

Business partners in general are a bad idea; especially if they are friends or relatives.

Business partners in general are a bad idea; especially if they are friends or relatives.
Don't want to burst your bubble but I have to agree with FltEng on this one. I ended up losing a good friend through a business venture. It may not be you but it is amazing what greed can do to a friendship. Just my 2c worth. :thumb:

I would incorporate to protect each of you. Set the rules in stone will help. Liability insurance only covers damages or slips and falls. You will need product liability insurance as well to cover your product.

Back