Spatchcock turkey

BBQscott

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I've heard time and time again this is a great method for even Turkey cooking and more crispy skin. As someone who has never tried the method, is it worth the hassle of cutting up the bird to do this method? I would love your guys advice! Happy turkey cookin!

It's the only way I'll cook a whole turkey anymore. It's a faster, more even cook. I cook at 325 with the legs and thighs to the back where my heat rises. I look for 165 IT on the breast and 180 or better on the thighs. A 15 pound bird is about a 2.5 hour smoke.

As for cutting the bird, it's a piece of cake with good shears and only takes a minute or two.

Last edited:
There was a crispy skin thread a while back but for chicken. I haven't done this yet but you pour boiling water over the skin before cooking. Wonder if it works for turkey ?

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to try this out this year!

If I don't do turkey on the rotisserie, it will always spatchcock it.

I only cook them that way as well now. Did this one a few weeks back.

Dry brine exposed to the air in the fridge helps get the skin crispy.
ec70a63ec4f3a6dbc72ac2f001af5894.jpg
dfbfa68ef5f62bf18d7cdbb006e782d5.jpg
22b25dc96776fb77176eeef158fb982b.jpg

I've been spatchcocking or cooking halves the last several years and I probably won't cook a turkey any other way. I usually do skin side down as it seems to hold the juices better, but it certainly doesn't crisp up the skin. My family doesn't really care though, so we're still happy.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to try this out this year!

Go for it - it'll give you a completely different perspective on cooking turkey (and other poultry).

Does anyone separate the legs and thighs to get the higher finish temp of 180 or will they cook quicker than the breast?

I've not cooked a whole turkey yet, but spatchcock is the way to go with poultry IMO. Or a rotisserie. I like the presentation of spatchcock tho, and find it easier to carve.

I always spatchcock my turkey (chickens as well) and cook breast up. Also I inject with a veg or poultry injection to keep moist. I little trick I learned is to remove the breast bone (skate) after removing the backbone. Everything lays nice and flat, cooks uniformly and it's easier to carve. YMMV

Those turkeys look amazing, would a knife be good enough to cut with or do you need the shears?

Those turkeys look amazing, would a knife be good enough to cut with or do you need the shears?
Shears are nice, but you can do it with a knife and a cutting board. A well scrubbed pair of pruning shears works well to try spatchcocking out, too.

I only cook them that way as well now. Did this one a few weeks back.

Dry brine exposed to the air in the fridge helps get the skin crispy.
ec70a63ec4f3a6dbc72ac2f001af5894.jpg
dfbfa68ef5f62bf18d7cdbb006e782d5.jpg
22b25dc96776fb77176eeef158fb982b.jpg

I put mine on like the first pic, not flatten it out like the second pic. I think it helps with temp difference between breast and thigh. You can also work your hands under the skin until all the meat is exposed, pop the thigh and leg out. Season the meat then pull the skin back over, if it tears a little hold it together with a toothpick.

After I spatchcocked my first bird years ago I don't cook them any other way. I usually bard my birds with bacon, then remove the bacon once it's crispy as a cooks treat and the added flavor to the bird.

Back