Saveur 100/ Cevapcici

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Interesting read on SIDE's blog today about the Saveur 100

Number 63 in 2008 is one that is near and dear to my heart

http://www.saveur.com/back-issue/miscellaneous/2008-saveur-100-21046800.html#cev

63 Sausages That Really Sizzle
If you happen to find yourself in Croatia, or virtually any other Balkan country and there's a flaming grill nearby, chances are someone is cooking CEVAPCICI. These super smoky, skinless sausages (pronounced che-VAHP-chi-chi)—usually a combination of minced beef, lamb, or pork seasoned with garlic and pepper—have a vibrant flavor and a juicy texture that make them one of the world's great meat dishes. Known by a variety of names, depending on the country you're in, and typically served with flatbread and condiments like roasted-pepper and eggplant sauce (usually called ajvar) and fermented cream, cevapcici likely owe their culinary origins to the Turks (the food is a cousin of the kebab, from which it derives its name). Whatever their provenance, the sooner they catch on here in the States, the better.

Thanks SIDE you made my day with that one

Last edited:
My local German restaurant makes cevapcici and it's farking outstanding. HUGE flavor in such a tiny piece of meat.

Thanks Side and Sled for the Post. Will have to try the sausage. Have always thought that the La Caja China's looked good

What about the recipe link from Sides site? Have some ground lamb in the freezer. Might try these for the big bowl game

Paul

What about the recipe link from Sides site? Have some ground lamb in the freezer. Might try these for the big bowl game

Paul
Well now, don't I feel stupid for missing that the first time!:icon_blush:

First time I've seen Baking Soda in a sausage recipe. Interesting.

I do not use baking soda in mine, this is similar to mine but not exactly:tongue: Hey I cant totally give away a closely guarded family secret recipe thats been in use for a few generations

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground lamb
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic or garlic powder
1 teaspoon or more to taste of vegeta

Put all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and knead well to bind the meats and spices together.Shape into finger-length shapes (just like small sausages) Refrigerate for about 2 hours. Cook on a grill over charcoal or under the broiler Serve in warmed or grilled pita bread with some ajvar. A lot of supermarkets have ajvar these days in the international foods section. This is the ajvar i prefer Comes in mild or hot

Last edited:
I am Macedonian and we make chevapi and pleskavice. I make them with 50% pork, 25% beef and 25% lamb I grind it up then mix in vegeta (seasoning from Croatia), minced garlic, minced onion, and black pepper. The pleskavice are hamburger shaped and I put minced green peppers in those. The chevapi are small thumb sized sausages that I grill using charcoal, very good! On the side I serve diced raw onions tossed with a little olive oil and red wine vinegar with black pepper and pita bread.

It is a shame that all this great sausage info is getting buried in a thread called Savuer 100 which is an excellent thread in its own right.

Dayum guys8) I never heard of vegeta or any of the rest of that stuff, but it sure sounds tasty:-D Gonna have to try to find the ingredients and give it a try:!:

Im from croatia and have introduced many people to cepvapci.
depending on where they are from(countries and villages)they vary widely.
my favorite is all beef with a bit of lamb. some are beef/pork/lamb, some beef/lamb, beef/pork. Most are all beef. Vegeta is a great dried vegatable mixer that goes well for soup, boiling with your rice, and mixing in your cream cheese for abt's. The Bulgarian variety are heavy on cumin.

I make em from stratch but here is another brand of croatian spice mixes that has some for Cevapci , goulash, paprikas , stuffed peppers you name it.... http://balkanbuy.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=26
http://balkanbuy.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=75 this is for cevapci

where I buy my stuff http://www.bende.com/index.html

Glad I could make your day, Sled! I was thrilled when I found that after a week of digging through 1000 picks from the last 10 years.

The first time I met you, you offered one up, but I had never looked to see what exactly it took to make em.

Back