I cooked! I cooked!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It has been since August 6th since I could get out to my cooker safely. I made chicken, there was much internal debate with the voices in my head about what to make for the return cook, prime rib would be flashy, brisket is always a winner...but, I love chicken off the kettle. So here is the tease, oddly enough, I need to head out the door for dinner, so cannot provide more details yet.
PB070351.jpg

PB070353.jpg

So, more details, chicken was rubbed with a mix of what I call Top Rub, which I normally use for a two part rub system for brisket and pork, mixed with a little pre-ban Yardbird. The chicken was moderately rubbed, placed ina bowl and allowed to sit for 2 hours. It was meant to be one hour, but, I screwed up and forgot to open the bottom vents, which meant a reset on getting the fire going.

PB070346.jpg

Once I managed to get the fire going correctly, the chicken was out on and allowed to cook at 300F for 40 minutes.
PB070350.jpg

See that one odd chicken thigh, it is not huge, the others are tiny. When I told the butcher that I wanted 6, then said, no better make it 8, those look really small, I think he decided to mess with me and gave me one outsized one. Anyways, I then made a chicken wash, which the chicken was dipped into at both the 40 minute and 50 minute marks. Here is the first dip, you can see the color difference in the two shots.
PB070352.jpg

This was an idea that I have been mulling over for some time, it is the exact technique we used for making our teriyaki chicken for the Church chicken feed we used to do once a year. The dipping performed when the chicken is already nearly cooked and just cooked allows for more penetration of the chicken wash. The chicken skin was nearly bite through, which I attribute in part to the acidic wash and in part to the tiny tiny chicken thighs.

Chicken Wash/Dip/Bath
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
2 tablespoon rub mix
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 teaspoons herb mix (I used Todd's Dirt which I grind down to a fine texture)

Thoroughly whisk ingredients prior to each use. Put in bowl and dip chicken when desired.

The nest time, I am using red wine vinegar, fresh chopped garlic, crushed onion instead of the cider vinegar and rub.

Itadakimasu!!!
Dang Onii-Chan...that looks PerPhect!!

Funniest looking prime rib I ever saw. I must have been asleep when you picked that one out.

You have beautiful thighs Landarc.......er.......really. Mighty tasty lookin'! Thanks!

That is Inspired!!!
I have to try this technique next
time I cook Thighs.....

Nice..... glad to see that your back to your old ways :roll:
Nicely done...... :-D

Funniest looking prime rib I ever saw. I must have been asleep when you picked that one out.
You wait until I get the chicken prime rib going, chicken crown rib roast is gonna be the next big thing.
You have beautiful thighs Landarc.......er.......really. Mighty tasty lookin'! Thanks!
You're making me nervous there son.

Found the cook explanation on this rather interesting, like the multi-step seasoning process, bet it tasted awesome.

Back