Bustin open at the seams

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Need advice on fatties. Seems I can not make a fattie that doesn't split open when cooking. I typically use jimmy Dean or Farmer john. Any suggestions?

Hmmm. All I can think of is to make sure you've got the sausage pinched back together really well. And make sure you're not overstuffing. I make sure I've got lots of sausage around the edges so I can get a good seal when I roll it back up.

Of the ones I have done........usually overstuffing as well for bursting open.

Ive even rolled them like a date cookie. Very thin and then sprinkled cheeze over most of the flat and rolled it up and pinched them very well, just to watch the cheeze squirt out.

One more thing I will try is to make sure when I probe it w/my polder type thermometer is to not poke it in the center of the fatty.

Im thinking about halfway between the center and the outer edge. Pulled the probe and watched the cheeze just squirt out like crazy.

Im thinking less stuffing of cheese, better pinching of the seam and wrap in in plastic wrap, chill for at least an hour back in the fridge before placing on cooker. Something w/the binding of the cold fat vs. warm fat.

One more thought.......trapped air expands when heated. Try and make sure there are no airpockets in the fatty when sealing it back up.

You can also put back in the fridge for an hour or 2 to firm back up.

You can also put back in the fridge for an hour or 2 to firm back up.

BINGO!!!! I was having the same problem until I got that advice on this forum. Excellent results everytime now. :eusa_clap

I just work the seam real well, making sure to get down deep, and not just closing it on the surface.

Plastic wrap works great, but whatever you do....don't use wax paper. Did that the second time I rolled them because I couldn't remember what I used before...the wax paper started falling apart and I had to carefully remove all the little pieces. Plastic wrap is the way to go.

As we prepare them the night before and store them in the fridge, they've never split open on us.

Read back awhile ago about fridge and put in. I guess 1/2 hour-1 hour not long enough. Thanks.

Dude, pinch that seam up then you gotta roll them suckers in celephane nice n tight, then stick back in the fridge for a couple a hours.

Are you over filling?

Back