Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Lump

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Mix

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
90% of the time, I support our local lump mfg, Fire King...same place they shot the episode of Dirty Jobs at the charcoal plant. I'd say it's about 30 miles SE of here, but they do deliver locally every week.

I have never tried briqs. I have used Royal Oak lump since I got my drum. Never had any issues. Have to shake the drum once in a great while, but can usually burn 13+ hours on 8 pounds consistently.

I burn lump too. Sometimes straight RO, especially in the mini basket. For long cooks I go with mostly Lazarri with some RO mixed in. I'm guessing 10 pounds average. I have tried briquettes only once or twice, there was too much ash and I just like the flavor the mesquite lump gives me.

DSC02824a.jpg

Pat, If you shake the cooker you you run the risk of a plumb of ash that will rise, following the natural draft and stick to your food. Try making yourself a wiggle rod, you can see my BDS size one in the picture. It's just a 1/4" rod with an L shaped bend on one end. Sneak it into one of the lower vents and gently shake the basket.

25bbadff.jpg

I burn lump too. Sometimes straight RO, especially in the mini basket. For long cooks I go with mostly Lazarri with some RO mixed in. I'm guessing 10 pounds average. I have tried briquettes only once or twice, there was too much ash and I just like the flavor the mesquite lump gives me.

Pat, If you shake the cooker you you run the risk of a plumb of ash that will rise, following the natural draft and stick to your food. Try making yourself a wiggle rod, you can see my BDS size one in the picture. It's just a 1/4" rod with an L shaped bend on one end. Sneak it into one of the lower vents and gently shake the basket

Thanks for the heads up Wayne. I will have to make a wiggle rod. :biggrin: Never really thought about the ash. Is Lazarri a brand name? Never heard of it.

Thanks for the heads up Wayne. I will have to make a wiggle rod. :biggrin: Never really thought about the ash. Is Lazarri a brand name? Never heard of it.

Opps, I spelled it wrong. Lazzari is correct. They make several hardwood lumps, the only one I can get is the mesquite. My Safeway store carries it. At $8.50 for a 15 pound bag. There are some big pieces in the bag, but a smack with a hammer will take care of them. I can also get Best of the West Mesquite and one other one, but they are more expensive per pound and come in 8 pound bags.

Here is TNW's write-up on it. He rates the burn time as low, but I get good burn times in the BDS. Also see the reader ratings toward the bottom of the page, its rated above average there.

This was what was left after a 11 or 12 hour burn

bddb60cc.jpg

Here is TNW's write-up on it. He rates the burn time as low, but I get good burn times in the BDS. Also see the reader ratings toward the bottom of the page, its rated above average there.

Who doesn't get good burn times on the BDS, right?!? :wink::cool: I'm with ya. I always forget about the naked whiz. Thanks for the link.

Looks like I'm the only one who just uses wood chunks.

Looks like I'm the only one who just uses wood chunks.

Mark, would it be possible to use logs cut to size of the firebasket? I was thinking of throwing in 2 or 3 hickory sticks and dropping 1/2 a chimney of lit briqs on top. Sound like a reasonable idea?

Mark, would it be possible to use logs cut to size of the firebasket? I was thinking of throwing in 2 or 3 hickory sticks and dropping 1/2 a chimney of lit briqs on top. Sound like a reasonable idea?
That's an interesting thought. Do you think it would be too strong on the wood flavor? I guess the only way to know is to try it.

I chunk my wood pretty small (maybe fist sized) and use various types of fruitwood in addition to Oak and Hickory for the UDS. I don't think anything has ever been over smoked. None of my smokers have ever seen a briquette.

PS: Of course that means my all wood UDS cooks can never be "set it and forget it" and that's fine by me. As far as bigger stick's with a can of hot briquetes dumped on top; do it and find out how it works. It's likely to work but will need monitoring at least the first time.

PS: Of course that means my all wood UDS cooks can never be "set it and forget it" and that's fine by me. As far as bigger stick's with a can of hot briquetes dumped on top; do it and find out how it works. It's likely to work but will need monitoring at least the first time.

I'll try it and see. My only concern is like Meat Burner said is that the food might be over smoked.

RO Lump for me I have tried a few differant ones I tried The king also the one with hickory chips from the king. I seem to have the best luck with lump.

Back