The Shirley wants to run hot and fast today...

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
...so who am I to tell her no? Not gonna fight it, just roll with it. I'm cleaning out my garage today, and I figured if I'm gonna have the smoker rolled out in the driveway anyway, I might as well light a fire and cook some meat. This lil 12lb brisket from Costco caught my eye last week, liked the shape and there seemed to be some pretty good marbling. It didn't require nearly as much trimming as some of the others do, my general strategy is to get the point to lay flat on top of the flat and I had to remove very little hard white fat between the two muscles to get it to do so today. Simple SPOG rub...may wrap in butcher paper, may not. The brisket has been on a couple hours now, figure I'll poke my peek into the cooker in a bit and see how it's coming along.

Seems to want to hum along around 325* today, should be a short cook

Don't mind firing up the cooker for one lonely brisket one bit :thumb:

Rolling with nicely seasoned hickory and a random split of cherry today

Tuned in to this one also. Every thread that features a Shirley reminds me just how nice they are. I think that or an LSG will be in my backyard in the future.

That is looking mighty fine. Wish I was home so I could cook something. Work travel sucks cause I can't cook in a hotel room. I will live vicariously (this weekend) through you. Nice job, Neal.

I didn't know a brisket could be a piece of art.

I'll reserve judgement for after it comes out of the warmer and into my belly. I must admit, it did look pretty nice going into it though. :thumb:

I stuck my hand in and touched the foil pan, meat is still pretty hot so I'll probably let it chillax another couple hours.

Looks awesome. Can’t wait for the money shot! Good pics as well. What kinda wood did you use?

Well it turned out pretty tasty...definitely had a crispier bark to it. I would say I maybe slightly overshot the temp, or maybe the carryover heat continued the cooking after I removed it from the Shirley more than I anticipated - my median temp was probably 325* the whole cook, definitely spent some time close to 350* which is a solid 50-60* higher than my normal upper temp...probably my hottest brisket cook to date, definitely so for the stick burner. I'll take slightly overcooked vs slightly undercooked with brisket every day of the week though. I think next time I'll probably tone the heat down a notch and go back to butcher paper, I just never like my nekkid briskets as much. Since this brisket was so small I didn't bother separating the flat and point before slicing like I normally do which resulted in slicing with the grain on some of the point which was already a tad on the overdone side.

Enjoyed the cook though and that's what matters :thumb:

What the still picture didn't capture is the nice fatty juices slowly oozing from the brisket after this slice.

Back