Smoked Sausage

B

Brad McKissick

In the past I have just reheated smoked sausage and served it with the smoked brisket. This weekend I plan on smoking some polish/ poblano and cheese sausage that I got from Rudolph’s in Dallas.

My question is how long, what temp and what is the best wood to use? I have an off set Long horn smoker with vertical smoke stack. I have oak and pecan wood on hand.

Thank you for any help.

Just got several flavors from Rudolph's ... cooked the first batch between 225 and 250 for little over 2 hours. Turned out pretty good. I'm going through about 12 different Sausage providers trying to find one that has good flavor and wont break the bank.

Just got several flavors from Rudolph's ... cooked the first batch between 225 and 250 for little over 2 hours. Turned out pretty good. I'm going through about 12 different Sausage providers trying to find one that has good flavor and wont break the bank.

thats fine for cooking it

but if he means smoking it, if its fresh sausage, then smoking is typically done at about 160-200F and he has to make sure the sausage has curing salts in it to prevent spoilage.

Just to be clear...

Depends on what type of sausage you're asking about: Fresh or Cured/Pre-Cooked.

I'm guessing you're talking fresh, with no cure in it. I typically smoke fresh sausage at 250* - 270* for about a 1 to 1.5 hours. You need to get it the internal temp to 155* to 165* (depending on who you ask). I throw it on after the brisket or butts come off the smoker and into the cooler for resting, so the wood is what is ever in the smoker already - usually either hickory or oak. After it comes off the smoker, let it rest for 5 to 10 mins and go.

Back