Slicing Pork For Competitions...

B

BBQNUTT

At what temperature do you consider just right for slicing pork butt for competitons? Do you do anything special prep wise to make the best slices? I've always turned in pulled pork but would like to try sliced since it always looks so good in the boxes I've seen while judging... Thanks!

When judging, did you score those boxes higher with the slices?

I'd say about 190 for a slice, but I'm not that good at slices. I'll wait and see what others say.

I take my butts to 195-205.

do you mean the money muscle, if so,, I agree with them ^^^^^^

I agree with him <<<<<<<<<<<<

Do you do anything different with them prep wise when you know your going to slice them? Ive seen several boxes with slices that have smoke ring almost all the way around them...

Do you do anything different with them prep wise when you know your going to slice them? Ive seen several boxes with slices that have smoke ring almost all the way around them...

How do you get a smoke ring almost all they around? Don't you have to smoke the whole shoulder/butt in 1 piece?

It is all about creative knife skills. The butt may not be parted. Parted being the key word

It is all about creative knife skills. The butt may not be parted. Parted being the key word

Ahh, there it is. I knew someone would know more about how its done. Would you care to divulge a little (or a lot) more information? I would like to know how to do it myself.

Ahh, there it is. I knew someone would know more about how its done. Would you care to divulge a little (or a lot) more information? I would like to know how to do it myself.

If you want the extra smoke ring and bark on your sliced pork you can partially separate the money muscle from the butt before cooking. Just don't cut it all the way off.

4.jpg

does anybody remember the post - i think todd did it on showing where the muscle compared to the bone?

does anybody remember the post - i think todd did it on showing where the muscle compared to the bone?

It's on the end opposite from the round bone. I also suck at slicing pork. I have a new strategy though that I intend to try out this weekend:icon_blush:

you can part it, but wouldn't the money muscle be done wayyyyy before the rest of the meat? and if you cut it off, that isn't legal is it?

I do buy pork butts only on the money muscle,,,,,

then again my pork is just in the middle of the pack,,,

you can part it, but wouldn't the money muscle be done wayyyyy before the rest of the meat? and if you cut it off, that isn't legal is it?

The cooking pork butt whole rule has been beat to death but the consensus on this board was that you cannot separate the money muscle and continue cooking the rest of the roast. So if you plan on parting the money muscle and want to remove it from the cooker at a lower temp than the rest of the butt, you have to remove that whole butt from the cooker and use other butts for pulled pieces.

As mentioned above, you can get good slices from a money muscle that is cooked in tact with the rest of the butt. Just let it rest, use sharp knives, and cut thick slices.

Any money muscle I've ever taken to 195 to 205 fell the fark apart when I tried to slice it. I would only take it to 185 and cooler it. It will go on up to a little over 190 and be perfect to slice.

Any money muscle I've ever taken to 195 to 205 fell the fark apart when I tried to slice it. I would only take it to 185 and cooler it. It will go on up to a little over 190 and be perfect to slice.

Ah Grasshoppa, to slice the pork you must block out the world around you focusing only on the knife as it cuts each fiber.

The key is letting the knife do the work.

I think we cook ours up to 210 and then use a lady schick to cut our slices. Works like a charm.

Back