Contest Announcment Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Long Island, NY

How about the flyers Eric?
Have had requests and checked the site earlier to note just last years; any time frame on this year's for publicity etc.?

The flyers should be done and posted this week. The delay was due to last minute sponsor movements.

Eric

Hey Eric
Are there still spots avail. We're a new team and hoping to enter our first event

greg

Hey Eric
Are there still spots avail. We're a new team and hoping to enter our first event

greg

There are and we would love to have you. Oversize lots are sold out, but we still have normal size lots available.

Eric

SOOOO.....I guess there is no explanation as to why the categories for the Grilling were removed for that entree/app/desert brain storm?:?::biggrin:
Is it because NEBS won't sanction the on site portion of the event?
Just my2cents but I don't like this idea for the grilling. I heard last year a team pulled out real china and silver flatware and silk tablecloths for the iron chef portion. I don't know....imo I liked having 4/5 categories and having to turn them in. Like a warm-up for Sun. Seems like its stretching to be different without any real guidelines. Once again just my opinion/thoughts not trying to be mean or anything.:mrgreen:

How many teams have signed up for the grilling so far?

Personally I think it was way to much last year. Gotta have some fun or else its not worth my time.

Alot of teams felt it was too much to have the onsite catagories PLUS 2 other catagories. (3 with the hot dog). Judges also felt it was too much food and getting thru it all was difficult. The organizers listened to the feedback from last year and made some changes based on that feedback.

Alot of teams felt it was too much to have the onsite catagories PLUS 2 other catagories. (3 with the hot dog). Judges also felt it was too much food and getting thru it all was difficult. The organizers listened to the feedback from last year and made some changes based on that feedback.

Thanks for the explanation. I really liked how it was last year..once again just my opinion. I guess we'll see how it goes this year. Only a couple of weeks away, can't wait.

The only thing about last year's grilling, was that you were tied down to the grilling comp for such an extended period of time on Saturday, that there wasn't an opportunity for cooks to take in anything else that was going on with Sayvill's Fall Festival.

Hopefully, this year's plan will afford that opportunity.

Regarding the grilling contest...just trying to understand the logistics...they give you a mystery ingredient and then you have 20 minutes to cook it in front of the judges? Is there time to run to the store to pick up other stuff? Im not sure what we'll be cooking so I'm not sure what I'll want to go with it.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this grilling contest?

If you receive a mystery ingredient you have to include it in your food.

Your food can be cooked whenever you want.

The only thing that you have to do for the judges is give them the food to eat and evaluate. You may discuss what you made, present it in a unique or fun fashion, entertain questions about the food or anything else that you would like.

Thanks for asking and let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric

OK so whats with this "mystery ingredient" we may or may not get something that we must include in our preparation that only counts towards presentation?

can we be any more vague about this chit or what? lol

and say I wanted to make the mentioned eggrolls do I have to make the wrappers on site too? same for the pasta? how about the tortillas?

OMG Sean, it's clear as mud what's the problem???? Ok, not quite clear, but for a guy like you the 20 minute schmooz should be no issue!

If they are going with this format I just think there should be more explained about everything involved. More guidelines this way its fair to everyone. Not everyone can serve their courses on real china and Flatware with candles, fresh floral arrangement and silk tablecloths. Thats not to say that just cause someone does that they are automatically going to win. It's about the food, but lets be honest, judges walking up to a tent with all the bells and whistles are going to have a better vibe about the food.. I'm not trying to buck the system here or anything, I'm just trying to figure out what's expected cause on top of the entry fee is not only just the food cost now but maybe I have to buy window treatments for the tent thats on grass next to a BGE and UDS.....LOL:biggrin:

It'll be nice to have poobah back this year. What's the latest I could sign up for grilling?

OK so whats with this "mystery ingredient" we may or may not get something that we must include in our preparation that only counts towards presentation?

can we be any more vague about this chit or what? lol

and say I wanted to make the mentioned eggrolls do I have to make the wrappers on site too? same for the pasta? how about the tortillas?

The 'mystery ingredient' (if there is one) must be included in your entree, app or dessert.

You may bring prepared wrappers (but not rappers), pasta and tortillas. If you bring Peanut M&M's they have to immediately be handed over to myself or the Reps.

Eric

If they are going with this format I just think there should be more explained about everything involved. More guidelines this way its fair to everyone. Not everyone can serve their courses on real china and Flatware with candles, fresh floral arrangement and silk tablecloths. Thats not to say that just cause someone does that they are automatically going to win. It's about the food, but lets be honest, judges walking up to a tent with all the bells and whistles are going to have a better vibe about the food.. I'm not trying to buck the system here or anything, I'm just trying to figure out what's expected cause on top of the entry fee is not only just the food cost now but maybe I have to buy window treatments for the tent thats on grass next to a BGE and UDS.....LOL:biggrin:

Ok, I'm not following you here.

1) You seem to be saying that the format is not clear and needs more explanation but the rest of your note seems to be saying that you aren't fond of the fact some people will go all out. Is that an accurate assessment?

2) This is exactly as it was last year, so it shouldn't be a surprise. We had people using full china and beautiful arrangements, we had people going with a full on Halloween theme and we had people going bare bones.

Eric

It'll be nice to have poobah back this year. What's the latest I could sign up for grilling?

I hadn't thought of a cut-off date until you asked. I'll put some thought into it, but at the latest it will be one week prior to the event to allow the chamber enough advance notice to have the payouts ready.

I'll try to have a definitive answer by Monday or Tuesday.

Eric

Ok, I'm not following you here.

1) You seem to be saying that the format is not clear and needs more explanation but the rest of your note seems to be saying that you aren't fond of the fact some people will go all out. Is that an accurate assessment?

2) This is exactly as it was last year, so it shouldn't be a surprise. We had people using full china and beautiful arrangements, we had people going with a full on Halloween theme and we had people going bare bones.

Eric

It may have been the way it was last year but last year it was 1 out of 5 categories. This year its 1 out of 2 and 1 doesn't count. Last year the iron chef portion was a cluster fark. We got told 3 different times the judges were coming. As far as people going all out, thats great but put some more fair guidelines. Give everyone white plastic, plates, forks, cups and tablecloths.
Listen...I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm expressing my opinion as a competitor. I know you can't please everybody and that's fine. I'm obviously a little upset and surprised that the categories were taken away. I was looking forward to it this year. We'll all see how this pans out and I hope for everyone involved it works. I'm just not a fan and thats how I feel, so I was throwing it out there.

Here is an easier question eric,A) What is the earliest that a judge can come to your tent. and what approximately will be the latest. Trying to get my timing down.
B) Eric, can you break down the pythagorean thereom please?:)

Joe,
If you really look at it, you can actually put all 4 grilling categories into your iron chef this year. Think of it as an app contest, meat or fish, desert and so forth.

Back