I have issues...

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Please help. Neither Oprah nor Dr. Phil will return my calls (I started a rumor that she was carrying his love child and they have been hacked off ever since.)

Okay...this is what I need answers to:

• What is the best way to clean my mobile pit? I've been cooking on it for almost two years now so I'm sure there is plenty of gunk in the bottom of the cooking chamber below the baffles.
  • Ribs. Spares to be exact. Mine need help. I use the 3-2-1 method and they come out too dark (I'm searching for that beutiful mahogony color), the bark is mushy and taste a little heavy on the smoke. I need rib guidance. Remember: K.I.S.S.
  • When do I stop adding wood and use lump or Kingsford for heat. I typically fire up a bag of Kingsford briquettes to get the pit up to temp, add my meat(s), toss on a log or two of hickory for smoke and then settle in for the long-haul. When the temps start to die I add more wood and nothing else. I think I might be over-smoking my meats (see my rib problem above.)
  • A good rub recipe that will result in a nice CRUSTY bark and not this sticky gunk that I currently end up with.
Please! Help with one or all!

Or maybe I just put a "For Sale" sign on the pit and start eating McRib sandwiches when the "Q Jones" hits.

Please fellow Brethren-don't allow me to languish in this void of the unknown for too long.

-Gup

Don't recall what size mobile you got... On my big offsets, I use a modified garden hoe to drag out all the accumulated gunk (if you hit it with a weed burner first, this step is easier.) Once or maybe twice a year, drag it down to the car wash and hit it with high pressured water and then dry it out good with a hot fire. For the grates, I hit them with the weed burner and a brush before every cook...

Can't help ya on the 3-2-1 thingy, cause I cook my spares nekid... As for dark and over smoked meats, the only thing you need to know is to learn how to build a small hot thereby clean burning fire. I might start my pits with charcoal, but from then on, it's wood only. Never too dark or over smoked.

Get rid of the 3-2-1, build and maintain a small hot burning fire and you won't have mushy bark.

There ya have it in a nutshell... Hope it helps.

James.

Please help. Neither Oprah nor Dr. Phil will return my calls (I started a rumor that she was carrying his love child and they have been hacked off ever since.)

Okay...this is what I need answers to:
  • What is the best way to clean my mobile pit? I've been cooking on it for almost two years now so I'm sure there is plenty of gunk in the bottom of the cooking chamber below the baffles.
Try bringing to a self serve car wash in your area or bring the pit up as hot as you can get it then try to steam clean the cooking chamber with a light misting of water.
  • Ribs. Spares to be exact. Mine need help. I use the 3-2-1 method and they come out too dark (I'm searching for that beutiful mahogony color), the bark is mushy and taste a little heavy on the smoke. I need rib guidance. Remember: K.I.S.S.
Change your rub... May need less sugar.
  • When do I stop adding wood and use lump or Kingsford for heat. I typically fire up a bag of Kingsford briquettes to get the pit up to temp, add my meat(s), toss on a log or two of hickory for smoke and then settle in for the long-haul. When the temps start to die I add more wood and nothing else. I think I might be over-smoking my meats (see my rib problem above.)
Try adding more charcoal once the initial base of charcoal is depleted instead of continuing with all wood
  • A good rub recipe that will result in a nice CRUSTY bark and not this sticky gunk that I currently end up with.
Forget the recipe and try a good commerical rub. Hawgeyes.com sells many top quality brands.

Please! Help with one or all!

Or maybe I just put a "For Sale" sign on the pit and start eating McRib sandwiches when the "Q Jones" hits.

Please fellow Brethren-don't allow me to languish in this void of the unknown for too long.

-Gup

See my best attempt at an answer for each above in blue...

Good Luck !!

Back