Custom Temp Controller

Jeff S.

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Starting to collect info for a winter project.

I am going to build a custom temp controller system. Using a PID controller, fan, temp probes for both meat and cooker.

Kickin around ideas for other variables that might be useful or fun to have on the controller. Outside air temp is something I want to ad, also data logging via wireless back to the laptop, considering wind direction in relation to the cooker, and speed. Also thinking about adding alarm features, not temp alarms, which it will already have, but turn in times, with countdown timers for each catagory, briskett rest times, a few more user definable alarms.

Also considering using a draft fan located in the smoker stack instead of at the fire box. A smoker and firebox door switches to disable the fan during peeking and fire tending. Just some different things to try.

Now I know that the purest will say that none of this stuff is needed, its just something to play with through the long cold Idaho winters.

Any other things that you think might be a plus for a controller?

Jeff

Thanks for the link. Im not looking to mass produce these things for everyone, but if i can get it to something Im proud of, I sure as heck would build a few for interested Bretheren. I will look though it for problems others have had as well as any suggestions I may find.

Just had another thought, O2 sensor. These things read the difference between the amount of oxygen in the exhaust and outside air. Wonder what one would do in the stack of a smoker? Could help to dial in proper combustion?

This is going to be a fun winter

Jeff

Last edited:
Back