** PLEASE VOTE *** What direction do you think the KCBS is heading?

What should KCBS focus on?

• large contests

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • small contests

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • both - explain how

Votes: 39 54.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good point, but the main idea is still valid. The excitement of local competition is lost when the bulk of the competitors are not even from the same state/region.

Well, it's different in different regions. I'm sure in Kansas there are lots of events. Here in the northeast teams drive several hundred miles to a contest because they have to, not because they are point whores. :p There are cuirrently NO contests in my home state, so I am always an "out of state" team. If I limited myself to events within a 2 hour drive, I could do 3 events a year max.

Anyway, I think KCBS needs to continue to sanction both large and small contests, and promote the sport. I don't see why these have to be mutually exclusive activities.

The big entry fees at the mega events mostly go to event expenses and back to the teams as payouts. Does KCBS really benefit more (in terms of revenue) at a single contest with 200 judges vs. 4 contests with 50 judges?

Earlier I forgot that KCBS does have the competitor, or competition, sanctioning available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford... ask me after UP Hog Wild :crazy: As many of you know, I sit as an organizer in a VERY small market, with almost no corporate suport left due to a hard hit local economy.... Add on to it the fact that we are trying to bring Q to a region it hasn't been before... and that we are 150 miles away from our closest other KCBS competition. In conversaton amongst organizers we have found that unless you are doing at least $10,000 in prize money, you are not going to have the magic to draw the teams.... So we have to try to do EVERYTHING the absolute best that we can to attract both teams and judges..... Add on to that the fact that we also have to do EVERYTHING we can to draw in thousands of guests through the addmission gates...... music, car shows, rides and games..... Let me find that avitar again :crazy:.... But we do it for the kid's charities we try to support... and the love of the friendship we have found in the bbq community. It's wonderful to see the sport growing..... and I have learned to accept the reality of the limits we face here in the UP.

Its all about the money. Sadly we may see the contest for the average guy slowly disappear. When we saw kcbs shed theyre not for profit status we saw the end of an era. Now its all about TOY tv shows and big sponsorship. Maybe its time for a new Organization to sprout up and become what kcbs should be. In all fairness there have been some improvements like a working website. But it all goes back to my origional statement. Its all about the money.

Its all about the money. Sadly we may see the contest for the average guy slowly disappear. When we saw kcbs shed theyre not for profit status we saw the end of an era. Now its all about TOY tv shows and big sponsorship. Maybe its time for a new Organization to sprout up and become what kcbs should be. In all fairness there have been some improvements like a working website. But it all goes back to my origional statement. Its all about the money.

Wouldn't that be nice. Especially given the circumstances here in AZ lately.

Keeping both large and small contests alive and well
is the best plan for long term health of the organization

I do only one KCBS contest a year in Franklin, NC. South Carolina has a judging organization called the SCBA - South Carolina BBQ Assoc. We had 27 contests in SC this year. I did 11 of those contests. I would probably do more KCBS contests if they were closer. Contests keep growing and more of them are being scheduled all the time. You don't need a big organization like KCBS to have a contest....

The KCBS is about promoting BBQ. Big event, small event, Kids Q, classes, merchandise, big money, small money, and thousands of other methods. There is room for all of us in this sport.

We judge, compete, and organize. (Everyone should do all three, it promotes understanding)

We organize PoorQue for many of the reasons above. Our competition is NOT about the money, instead about the Sport. We have seen nothing but support from the KCBS on this event. Both Regional Competitors and Local Rookies made it last year and we expect the same this year. We wish there were dozens of PoorQue competitions out there so we could afford to compete more than a couple of times a year ourselves. http://poorque.web.officelive.com We also enjoy the larger events and attend them. We enjoy our road trips to the Jack and Royal. BBQ is a family we love and support and want to promote for everyone!

Last edited:
We organize PoorQue for many of the reasons above. Our competition is NOT about the money, instead about the Sport. We have seen nothing but support from the KCBS on this event. Both Regional Competitors and Local Rookies made it last year and we expect the same this year. We wish there were dozens of PoorQue competitions out there so we could afford to compete more than a couple of times a year ourselves. http://poorque.web.officelive.com

I like it!!!!

Back