Smoked Eggs??

BMantlow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any tips/tricks on how to make the shell & membrane release easily from smoked eggs? Been smoking indirect heat on weber kittle.:confused:

I know shells release easily when eggs are boiled in saltwater and are not 'fresh' helps as well.

I've even tried soaking in saltwater before smoking:crazy:didn't seem to help.

Usually I bust them 2-3 times on the counter and than roll the eggs over the counter pressing on the egg lightly so that the shell cracks.
After that peel them.
Works quite good over here.

Usually I bust them 2-3 times on the counter and than roll the eggs over the counter pressing on the egg lightly so that the shell cracks.
After that peel them.
Works quite good over here.

For me, That didn't work to well either, all the little bits of shell pulled parts of the eggs off in chunks. When I was finished mostly what I had left was yoke. Even tried peeling under running water.

I guess we'll wait till others chime in.:thumb:

IMG_2077.jpg

No clue if this changes anything but there must be some difference between European eggs and N. American eggs. If I recall correctly Euro eggs are sold unrefrigerated whereas NA eggs are sold refrigerated.

Looking forward to what others have to say as I've been meaning to smoke some eggs ever since they started popping up on the boards here.

One secret is to use old eggs. I buy the eggs I want to hard boil around a week before I need them. Another trick is to cool the eggs in crushed ice instead of cold water it helps the gas from inside the eggs release.

Last week I boiled a dozen and cold smoked them. Then the next day made Deviled eggs for a party. I think 24 halves lasted only 20 minutes.

Next time I need to make 2 dozen.

OK, I'll ask. How are you smoking them? Do you put them in the smoker raw? How long are they cooked? Would be interested in trying this. Could make an interesting deviled egg if you could get past the peeling issue!

OK, I'll ask. How are you smoking them? Do you put them in the smoker raw? How long are they cooked? Would be interested in trying this. Could make an interesting deviled egg if you could get past the peeling issue!

Preboiling isn't needed.
I think you can cook them indirect for about 40-45 min....don't know at what temp.

IMG_1947.jpg

the way I do it is to hard boil,peel and cold smoke for around 40 minutes. If smoking raw put on the smoker for about 1.5 hours or a bit longer but you'll only get a slight smoke taste. The shell is there for the chicks protection to keep things out but to let gas escape.

The shell is there for the chicks protection to keep things out but to let gas escape.

Most probably so Skidsz but the smoke will penetrate through the shell though.
If you boiled,peeled and smoked the egg maybe you would get more smoke in the egg.
I haven't tried this method before.

How long do you leave a raw egg on the smoker and at what temp?

Smoked eggs are a new concept to me. How are you serving the eggs? In a salad?

Hmmm........this sounds yummy. I think I will have to play around with smoked eggs. I think I will hard boil them, peel and smoke for my 1st attempt. Thanks for the idea.

I've only tried it twice and had trouble peeling cleanly both times. First time I tried was last weekend while doing chicken thighs and let them cook indirect, from raw stage about 1.5hrs. at about 325. They were hard to peel and very rubbery, yoke was even kinda greenish around the edges. Overcooked I suspect.

Second attempt was yesterday while cooking 2 Tri-Tips, indirect heat, 40 minutes at average of 340*, results were still hard to peel but texture was not rubbery and yoke was yellow and didn't have the green outer tint, yoke was moist and just right, not dry.

I guess I'll just get a dozen and start pulling one every 10 minutes or so after about 20min. and see what time seems to work best.

This was on a Weber 22.5 OTG, indirect heat w/cherry wood as smoke and K charcoal.

I've never heard of smoked eggs until I read this post. It's piqued (sp?) my interest.

I wonder if soaking the egg in vinegar for a bit first would allow the smoke to penetrate the shell more.
I think Ash is all set to do this experiment with his 15 dozen.

I learned that peeling the egg in cold water keeps the meat from breaking away. This is recommended for pickled eggs.

Last edited:
I wonder how a cast iron skillet with raw scrambled eggs would work out?

Back