Boiling ribs

i know what you are talking about! give them about an hour in seasoned water, put you some rub on them then on to the rotisseri for how ever long it takes to firm up and get a nice bark on them. Yes i will admit i use to do them like this in the past.

One day you can become an expert and do excellent ribs in a myriad of styles--- then you will be a true pit master - representing many different styles.

:tsk: Okay...okay, if you must. Please post a pic of the dearly departed ribs after the massacre..... :)

Always a new group of internees we have to teach. That's the beauty of this forum, cookers that assume because they cannot master a technique, one then must be superior. The fact is, one may simply have found the limits of their own expertise.

We all learn don't we.... or are we through?

Okay... here it is... a picture of something simmering... not my wife at the end either....

Some of the most popular ribs I ever made before the WEEP method.

They were called "Break My Heart - Loinbacks" and it was a traditional low country recipe from LA that had nothing at all to do with convenience or time but superior flash on the palette.

Video

I am sorry I never got a picture of them cut though. Ignore the second set of rips shaped like a "P"

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/21/_ETt0-WT2

Now continue the discussion for another few days LOL

An alternate to boiling is pressure cooking. With different processing times, you can obtain different levels of tenderness as well as longer or shorter cook time once they hit your grill or smoker.

Processing times of 12 to 25 minutes are common, and I have seen some discussion on natural release (letting the PC come down on it's own) and quick release (using a release valve or water on the lid). I would start off with 12 minutes and quick release, doing a toothpick test when you open the PC. If you want to go longer, you can be back up to pressure in a few minutes, and process them 4 more minutes and check again.

As with most pressure cooking recipes you do need to go heavier on the rub than normal, and then lightly re-season before they hit the grill.

Use a trivet, or a couple of tin foil balls to keep the ribs out of the liquid when in the PC.

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek? LOL

Hey, Dan, you ever remember when I made the claim I could make a set of assume smoked ribs that were micro pressure cooked, then smoked? LOL I am not sure what region that represented though... but a few die hard old school ribbers could not tell that they were not originals.

I find that the pressure cooking using the PC down is too much of a margin fro error on me personally. I can overshoot depending on how many ribs I cook at one time. The liquid is the same I use for the Break my heart loinbacks.

Of course, par smoked then chilled then deep fried are quite a rival to the traditional rib as well... oh sorry, hot and fast rib... since a low and slow rib was never "traditional."

Discuss

An alternate to boiling is pressure cooking. With different processing times, you can obtain different levels of tenderness as well as longer or shorter cook time once they hit your grill or smoker.

Processing times of 12 to 25 minutes are common, and I have seen some discussion on natural release (letting the PC come down on it's own) and quick release (using a release valve or water on the lid). I would start off with 12 minutes and quick release, doing a toothpick test when you open the PC. If you want to go longer, you can be back up to pressure in a few minutes, and process them 4 more minutes and check again.

As with most pressure cooking recipes you do need to go heavier on the rub than normal, and then lightly re-season before they hit the grill.

Use a trivet, or a couple of tin foil balls to keep the ribs out of the liquid when in the PC.

What about steamed ribs? Throw 'em right in with the crabs,a little old bay for flavor.

Back