Wet Bacon Brine Issue

akochman

Found some matches.
Hello everyone! I have a whole pork belly, 15lbs-ish, in Pops wet brine. I have read many, many posts leading up to my first attempt. I have had the belly in for 7 days now and I don't feel it is firming up as described. Is that an issue?!

I was planning on pulling it, leaving it in the fridge as recommended, and smoking it on day 11. Now I might have to go on a biz trip for a week. My wife is unable to help too. What should I do?! Freeze it and re-brine? Leave it in the brine? It is in the fridge but I am worried my investment will be lost.

Thanks all,
Akochman

I use wet brine(my own). I soak seven days, rinse, dry for a couple hours then hot smoke to 150 degrees. I don't care about firmness. I have never had a brine penetration issue.

I agree with C Farmer.
I use to run my wet brine for two weeks minimum.

I wet cure bacon too. I don't bother with the feel of the bacon while curing. Sometimes it feels tender before smoking, but after it gets a good pellicle and a solid dose of smoke it will firm up.
On the subject of time in the brine... I had bacon go long once when I had a last minute trip that popped up. It was buckboard bacon and I had planned 15 days in the brine. That turned into about 25 days. The bacon came out great. A tad on the salty side, but that is how I like it anyways. If you are worried about that submerge it for a few hours in cold fresh water in the fridge to leach out some of the excess salt.

Edit: I do use Prague Powder and a warm smoke to a food-safe temp, so I'm not very worried about nasties popping up in my meat.

Thank you everyone! It does look like bacon and has firmed up a little more. I managed to push my trip back a few days so if all seems right with the belly, I'll smoke it this weekend. If not, I'll leave it be.

I am overwhelmed by the support with this site. I can't thank you all enough! I'll post some pics either way and learn as much as I can while I take a go at this!

Turned out great!

Any advice after seeing these? It tastes great and all seems to be fine!

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 83
My advice, don't eat it all in one sitting... looks good enough that you might want to!

Back