iGrill

S

SmokeInDaEye

Has anyone used the iGrill remote temp gauges? http://www.igrillinc.com/ I was thinking about getting a set and having everything synched to my iPad versus having multiple receivers. I can get two units, two probes each and monitor 4 different cuts at a time.

Thanks for the info Clint. Sure does look interesting. Looking forward to any responses you get.

Theres a thread about the Igrill somewhere on here. I just asked the same question about 2 weeks ago....try the search, it'll pop it up for ya! Dont remember exactly what was said, but I think the bottom line was the stokers were a better option I believe...

I have iGrill on board as a sponsor for this season and they have been great to us. I do understand people are having issues with Bluetooth distances although mine has never given ant trouble. We are waiting on delivery of the black faced unit as i think it will be easier to read in the sunlight.

Well, I had to do it. Bought the Igrill and recieved it yesterday. Good excuse to smoke some ribs.

Pulled the igrill out of the box only to discover that althought I ordered the unit with the extra probe, Igrill only sent me one probe.

Oh well, easy fix. So after jammin the batteries in the thing to give it a try, kicked on the bluetooth on my Iphone, and bam, paired. Easy.

Plugged the Igrill into my drum and the temp was exact with my Tel Tru.

The user interface is nice, you have a graph that shows you history, a line with current temp, another with your projected done temp, that you customize. So far so good.

One of the drawbacks that I found was that the unit powers down the display, so after a minute or two, it goes black, to see the temp you have to touch the plus sign button. I would rather have the option of changing the display to stay on, or atleast change the time to sleep. The unit has nice big digits, but if it goes to sleep, then you still have to go to the unit to wake it. so small numbers would have worked.

Range didnt impress me much, I got about 100 ft away before the phone lost connection. I can get 300ft out of my modded Maverick.

The unit isnt weather proof. Not mentioned any where I can find on the web page, but for another 20 bucks, they will sell you a silicone cover that is supposed to make it water resistant.

The thermometer in the software is easy to read, but it looks like the old metal meat thermo, and reads like it too, only goes up to 190 degrees. So for most of us, that view is useless.

Fired it up this morning to check to see if it remembered the settings I had put in last night, and it did. But the unit would not pair with the phone. Igrill says once you have paired it, it will never need done again. I had to delete and reinstall the igrill app, remove the batteries from the Igrill and restart my phone. Finally it paired again. only took about 20 minutes.

Inserted a spare probe from my maverick to see if it would read it. The igrill shows the same info for both probes, on the same screen, so I can see that as a plus, but the maverick probes dont work, go figure, although it is the same plug end, the maverick probe showed 20 degrees cooler than the Igrill probe, setting right beside it.

Ive got a couple emails into Igrill, about the probe, the limited thermostat graphic, the fact that units bluetooth connections cant be cleared, like they say in the instructions, and my extra probe.

Let see how customer service does...

Overall at this point I would give the unit a 6 out of 10. The price is high for what you get, if it wasnt for the cool factor, I probably would give it a 3.

A quick update on the igrill. Just got done talking to customer service and the good news is, they are adding a better looking, more functional graphic due out in an update by the end of the month or possibly early July.

The clearing past bluetooth pairings actually works as described in an online video, you actually pull out the batteries, wait 15 seconds, hold all three buttons in and then replace the batteries, not the easiest thing to do, but it works, and should really only need done once.

They did miss shipping the second probe, and are overnighting another to me.

Also they have a probe coming out by end of summer that will read ambient air temps so we can monitor cooker temps.

I explained to them the need for us to have accurate cooker temps, and that the 190 limit on thier thermo GUI really doesnt apply to much of what we do.

Overall at this point I am pleased with the device and the accuracy, the level of customer service, and prompt responses i recieved.

I will change my rating to a 8 of 10 and see how it does with the second probe and the updates.

Jeff S.

I played with mine over the weekend as well. It's a fun toy, though I was disappointed to discover that I cannot use two at once (for a total of 4 probes) after being told that it would be possible by mid-june. It now looks like you can't use two units with a single iOS device for another month if not longer. Anxious to see the new app update.

I haven't attempted to use two unit at once yet , please keep us informed and I'll send an email to Idevices.
I'm still very happy with my iGrills and haven't have any problems with them other than it being tough to read the display in bright sunlight...not that we get a lot of that here. :) Looking forward to getting the unit in black.

New app update is out. Complete redesign. they claim a smoker option now too with high and low alarms as well as history.

Havent got to try it yet

Jeff S

*Bump* - any updated views on the iGrill?

It's been a couple of years since this feedback, so how are these devices working out for people?

I would like to see WiFi rather than blutooth, as it would mean you could monitor on your i-phone, i-pad from anywhere with an internet connection in theory. My BBQ house is not that near my main house, so it wouldn't help me much as it stands. However, WiFi would probably drain the battery faster.

Secondly, I see there is some sort of Facebook integration. Anyone know more about this? Perhaps it posts on your page when something happens? If this was the case, then I could leave an internet-enabled iPhone/iPod/iPad in the BBQ house, and just get the FB updates to tell me if I need to go 'do' something.

Any updates or views would be appreciated!

I did an all night cook with it mothers day weekend. And it work beautifully, never disconnected, had the meat probe and the grill temp probe both going with alarms set on both and it woke me up around midnight to let me know my BGE was to hot, and at 4 am when the shoulder was done. The Igrill pro app is really nice. I would like to see some changes like the grill temp probe also having a grill too cold alarm.

Cirk- so to clarify, the iGrill currently will not let you know if your pit temp drops, only if it gets too hot?

The Bluetooth is still weak. It will not go through walls. I would look at the wGrill. It is sold by a member of this forum. It is wifi based.

No, no, no! When you set an alarm function, either a meat probe or pit probe there is an option to set just a max temp OR A RANGE. If you select the range you can have upper and lower alarms. So for example, if my target temp is say 325* i can set a mininimum at 300* and a max at 350* and get an alarm for either. And, on the data graphic, you see the min & max lines with your actual performance (hopefully inbetween)

Cirk- so to clarify, the iGrill currently will not let you know if your pit temp drops, only if it gets too hot?

I've been using one for about a year and really like it. I've actually had pretty good experience with the Bluetooth through windows and walls. Routinely set up my pit in the driveway and catch naps in the living room recliner or spare bedroom, about 50-75 feet through concrete block with Hardie board exterior and drywall interior.

I have not tried 2 units, would really like to know if that works.

I have an i grill, where my house is seems to be major interference i cant even dial in radio stations but right down the street i can. My i grill has worked better than my maviric with the antana mod. The only neg i can say off the hop is the stupid ads screw me up. I cook at night and am half asleep sometimes so when i look at it the screen looks different with the pop up and i get up when i dont need to be, there doesnt seem to br a way to turn them off

I have an iGrill, and I love it! The only problem I had is when my iPhone wouldn't see the iGrill. A simple bluetooth disconnect/reconnect and it was back in the mix.

My smoker is less than 200' away from my phone, so distance is not a problem. However, I do like to nap once I know my UDS is in the sweet spot, temperature-wise.

I plug it into a Jambox, and set the alarm for "Detroit Rock City". Anyone in the house hearing that tune knows dinner is almost ready.

Back