Chili Cookoff

Dyce51

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just got the entry form for the annual chili cookoff my daughter and I enter into every year....2 years ago we won last year we were runners up....This year I am thinking of trying something new....Smoked Pulled Beef Chili!! I figure a good spicy chili would taste even better with a good smoke flavor to it as well! What do you guys think??

The comp judges at the chili cook-offs are so picky from what I have seen that anything except the standard cubed pieces of beef may throw off the texture and beat you regardless of how awesome it is.

I think it sounds fantastic but do some research into chili comp cooking methods and then bring home the gold to the brethren.

Good luck and have fun with it! :clap2:

(I have never entered any type of cooking comp so this is just a tip based on my own research, it may be total bunk for all I know) :crazy:

I can't speak for competition cooking, but I've started adding a bit of liquid smoke to my "work day" chili and it tastes great! I can only imagine how much better real smoked meat will be in there.

You already won once and placed second last year. Why not mix it up a bit and see what happens? IMO, it's mainly about having fun with your daughter, right? If you win then it's an added bonus.
I've never entered a cookoff and I used to always cook the standard chili, but I've been using brisket as the base for my chili and I add ground beef & pork and it's been a success with friends and family.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
+1 on the cubed beef. Cook whatever beef you like for the recipe but small cubes are awesome :)

I think I'm gonna make a pot with smoked pulled beef to see how it turns out....

The trick with pulled beef (and pork) is it will keep breaking down into mush. At least in my experience. It still tastes great but it definitely throws people off with the consistency. I would suggest using burnt ends instead. You can cut them down to whatever size you want and they work wonders in chili. Also, don't forget to add some coffee grounds :thumb:

+1 on above. If you'd like some smoke flavor, trying using ground chipotle in your spices...

I'll smoke a chuck to 160 IT so it'll have a good smokey flavor for other applications. I'll cube then let it finish cooking in in a chili or a soup or potpie so it still retains a good texture but is no longer tough or stringy.

The chili cookoffs I've been in dont allow you to bring meat already cooked and must be inspected first. Not sure when you can start or when turn in is but maybe you could do a hot and fast? Worth a try. I might try it as well this October.

I'll smoke a chuck to 160 IT so it'll have a good smokey flavor for other applications. I'll cube then let it finish cooking in in a chili or a soup or potpie so it still retains a good texture but is no longer tough or stringy.

This is exactly how I would do it!

The chili cookoffs I've been in dont allow you to bring meat already cooked and must be inspected first. Not sure when you can start or when turn in is but maybe you could do a hot and fast? Worth a try. I might try it as well this October.

thats the way it used to be with this cookoff as well...but in the last 2 years we are able to cook it at home and transport it hot to the cookoff. They do cheack temps as soon as you get there to insure safety.

a couple of real good ideas here with the burnt ends and "par" smoking and then finishing in the chili....

How much time do you have for the cook? Typically it's about 5 hours. You have time to smoke meat?

One comp I went to, the guy that won, ground up his meat on site and didn't even start his pot until about 2.5 hours before turn in. :-o

Back