THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Hey guys!

I am doing Pulled pork for my daughter's graduation party. Going with SM Cherry and SM Apple for the two picnics I have. The picnics weigh 10.42 & 11.61 lbs. I'm not sure about weight loss form skin and shrinkage, so I need some help. How many people would these two feed? I don't have a set number yet for the party, and I think I need another. The wife would rather spend the $ in other places, so I need to see how many these will feed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The amount consumed, and sometimes the amount finding it's way to the trash, depends on who's doing the serving. If you serve it figure 1/4 lb. If they're serving themselves figure 1/3 lb. The number of sides will have an effect too. Sounds like a fun time!! Cheers!!!

Picnics have lots of skin and bones, which all ends up in the loss column weight wise.

If I were doing the culling of fat, bones, and skin, I'd end up with about 45%-50% yield per lb, so 22 lbs of picnic roast would be roughly 10-11 lbs of finished product. When I'm doing the prep work, all questionable pieces get culled.

Any chance of doing Butts instead of picnics??

Much greater yield.

Just a thought.

TIM

Any chance of doing Butts instead of picnics??

Much greater yield.

Just a thought.

TIM

I agree. If you are buying some more, get a butt

With butts I'd say 22lbs cold will make hot food for 44 folks. With a picnic, I'd probably say the number is closer to 30 folks (then again, i haven't cooked a picnic in ages)

Picnics were already bought and frozen. How many days should I give to be able to inject and rub on Thursday?

Picnics were already bought and frozen. How many days should I give to be able to inject and rub on Thursday?
I'm smoking 2 butts on Friday & 4 racks of ribs on Saturday. They went into the fridge @34F on Monday to thaw. Cheers!!!

Hey guys. How many sandwiches is 1/4 or 1/3 pound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really depends on who's doing the serving. 1/4 lb. to 1/3 lb. could be between 1-3 sandwiches. I've seen dudes pile ~1/2 lb. on one bun when serving themselves. I'd go with the smaller buns and figure ~1.5 buns to 1/4 lb. meat. If there are buns left over they go in the freezer for our personal consumption at a later date. Buns are cheap... Cheers!!!

Back