UDS Kettle Lid Drippings

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a relatively new UDS that I made which has a Weber lid. I've only done three cooks in it and I've noticed a glossy jet black liquid, about the consistency of oil, that develops inside the lid. There isn't a lot of it, but there's enough that it runs down the inside of the lid to the lip of the drum.

Is this normal for a UDS?

Thanks,
John

I have a relatively new UDS that I made which has a Weber lid. I've only done three cooks in it and I've noticed a glossy jet black liquid, about the consistency of oil, that develops inside the lid. There isn't a lot of it, but there's enough that it runs down the inside of the lid to the lip of the drum.

Is this normal for a UDS?

Thanks,
John

Yep...it's condensation. Clean your lid with some hot soapy water and a brush on occasion...it cuts down on the jet black glossy stuff...but not the condensation. I notice it more when my drum is loaded to the gills. :biggrin:

You my friend are making liquid smoke, bottle it and sell it on. lol

It's nasty stuff but it's a good thing you have that webber lid so it dosen't drip on you food.

Yep...it's condensation. Clean your lid with some hot soapy water and a brush on occasion...it cuts down on the jet black glossy stuff...but not the condensation. I notice it more when my drum is loaded to the gills. :biggrin:
Thanks. Can I use it as liquid smoke? :eek: :-D

John

You my friend are making liquid smoke, bottle it and sell it on. lol

It's nasty stuff but it's a good thing you have that webber lid so it dosen't drip on you food.
That's what I was thinking (about the lid). What happens to the charcoal juice in a flat-top UDS/BDS?

John

I find most of mine in the exhaust and the lid is only a little damp.

Thanks. Can I use it as liquid smoke? :eek: :-D

John

It depends on if you know where your Weber lid has been...:twisted: Personally I wouldn't bother because I never use the stuff. Plus it seem like a lot of putzin' around to collect it. My 2 cents...:biggrin:

Ya know JD if ya just sopped it with a biscuit like the rest of us...:wink:

Yo, John... I collect it in a small bottle and then dab it behind my ears before going out. CHICKS DIG IT!!!

That's what I was thinking (about the lid). What happens to the charcoal juice in a flat-top UDS/BDS?

John

I only notice it when using a Weber lid and have a lot of fatty meats in the drum, but its no big thing, mine have a kettle flange and it drips down the inside of the drum. I've gotten used to rotating the lid so the vents not always in one spot to keep from having hot spots. Don't really get it using the drum lid.

Back