Educate me on casters

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
The metal casters was not working for me so I took them off. Also a good security measure since it makes it immobile. Is there a better option to move 1300 pounds of steel? I haven’t done an official measure but the bolt that holds it together is 1/2” I think.

91bee9fbf74de3d4e3deacf6d71e702b.jpg

e0c4a77eb81f06267877a19168deb596.jpg

Always moving on concrete?, were they swivel casters before?
Do you have a pull handle ?

Personally, I'd stay away from any pneumatic tires, unless you're going to try and move it around in grass?
Avoid nylon, they'll flatten out.
I'd stick with the steel, maybe larger diameter? and swivel.

Last edited:
This place does not have a website. So I'm posting the facebook thing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/General-Caster-Service/114172775442455
They have casters we could not find else where (we purchased by the hundred). 3" tall nylon? swivel and locking wheel/no mark. #300 cap. and some higher. Ball bearings, fantastic casters. Call them and see what they recommend.
Anyways, Larger wheels will make moving easier.
DIY, dual wheels on a single hub, just cut new steel rod axles, drill/cotter pin. Larger foot print, easier moving. Or you could have 3 wheels on said caster hub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ow0cbOCHI

Ok. This might sting a little...
Yours is very small, most are much bigger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know who was thinking what but those steel caster wheels on a smoker that heavy was a total mistake unless you were moving it across an ice rink.
My smoker is about 1200 pounds and moves effortlessly on hard surfaces with 6" polyurethane caster wheels.

Always moving on concrete?, were they swivel casters before?
Do you have a pull handle ?

Personally, I'd stay away from any pneumatic tires, unless you're going to try and move it around in grass?
Avoid nylon, they'll flatten out.
I'd stick with the steel, maybe larger diameter? and swivel.

And at least one with a brake.

All four casters can swivel but the wheels have so much friction and pressure on them. It really just follows the slope of the driveway, which can be dangerous at times. Yeah, and no brakes.

The metal casters are 6” in diameter. It raises the whole cooker 8” once installed on the axle. I think I can do 8” without scraping the bottom.

If you are having issues with a sloped driveway I would change two of the casters to the fixed type. It will be much easier and safer to control when you move it.

How about putting some new, larger casters on the back and dead legs on the front and use something similar to this to move it around?

https://www.amazon.ca/Titan-Trailer-Dolly-Utility-Camper/dp/B01LZ01Y8O

So almost halfway to a trailer model? :mrgreen: The cooker is in its current state because I am unsure if it will be sitting on a porch of a food trailer or if it would be part of a trailer rig. I plan to move from my rental next year so I am trying to see how to move this thing off the property.

900 lbs empty and limited to concrete or asphalt only. This also hindered where I could set up for a comp. I communicated with Shirley Fab about modifying the design similar to what their large smokers are outfitted with but my schedule was absolute chaos at the time and I could not make a trip to let them take the job. Eventually a friend of a friend offered his welding services (for a price lol) and I made the change. Night and day difference! By the way I did try small pneumatic casters designed for the weight and they failed big time. Not sure if this would work for you but options are out there.

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 147
  • new smoker wheels.jpg
    new smoker wheels.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 149
I have been told that each individual caster axle should be able to carry the weight of the item. Not 4 333# pound axles.

900 lbs empty and limited to concrete or asphalt only. This also hindered where I could set up for a comp. I communicated with Shirley Fab about modifying the design similar to what their large smokers are outfitted with but my schedule was absolute chaos at the time and I could not make a trip to let them take the job. Eventually a friend of a friend offered his welding services (for a price lol) and I made the change. Night and day difference! By the way I did try small pneumatic casters designed for the weight and they failed big time. Not sure if this would work for you but options are out there.

Is that a Johnson Smoker? Looks like one of his T-pits...

Is that a Johnson Smoker? Looks like one of his T-pits...

Yes. 24" T-Pit. When I bought it there was no issues as long as I was in and out of the garage. Beyond that was trouble. Now with the modifications it's great and a one man job to move.

I have been told that each individual caster axle should be able to carry the weight of the item. Not 4 333# pound axles.

I asked several vendors about this and they told me the total of the 4 must meet or exceed the weight. Total load divided by 4 I guess. This did not work for my pit. The pit weighs 900lbs and I purchased 4 pneumatic casters that were rated at 300lbs each. The pit flattened all 4 lol. I just went with 4 -12" tires and no regrets.

Back