Meat prices still high?

J

jsmoker

I know it's been bounced around in a couple of other threads, but I was wondering what everyone is seeing the price of meat do ahead of the Memorial Day weekend? Here in KC there is only one store - Dillons - that is running any specials at all. And that is only a brisket ad for $1.69 per pound. As Jeff said last week, Price Chopper had brisket for $.99 per pound.

Had planned on doing some stocking up in anticipation of a good price weekend, but I feel like I've been left at the Q altar!!!

Is this an ongoing trend across the country? I know oil has jacked up the price of everything but yikes! :?

Any of the brethren out there seeing killer deals? Thanks!

I went meat shopping yesterday. I've been pretty tired of paying 10.99 per pound for thinsliced sandwich ribeyes. I ring up Carl, ( the butcher) from the back room. I buy a couple of cryovav boneless ribeyes for 6.99 per pound from him. I also got a couple of rump roasts whole, cryovaced for $1.99 per pound for making beef jerky.

This is my local small town grocery store. Their flyer this week has spares for $2.29 per pound. I will go back today and see how much I can get the cryovac packs for. I am geussing about $1.89 per pound. Baby backs are priced out at 4.99 and I can probably get them for 3.99.

He also told me that they are going to be having a big meat sale next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. That is right before memorial day.

Get to know your butcher.

I know a guy around here who has a competition team who has given me a bunch of tips and hopefully will hook me up with some of his meat connections. The butcher at the store over by where I used to live was a high school buddy of mine, but since we've moved away it's tough to find the right guy - lots of teenage kids it seems and never there at the time when "Da Man" is around.

We do have a few meat markets around where you can buy in case lots.... Any problems with buying a case of a cut like shoulder or brisket and freezing? I usually age beef in my beer fridge for 2-3 weeks before I cook it, but I've never tried freezing. Seems like a great way to get around high prices if you don't fark up the meat.

Just got some baby backs for $4.49 per pound for Saturday. They also have Bob Evan's fatties on sale, 2 for $6. I still wish they were cheaper.

Here in Memphis, I've been searching for the deals for the upcoming weekend.....Boston Butt .99/lb.....Pork Shoulder .89/lb.....Baby Backs are $4/lb at the packing company. Don't know what they are in the local stores. But in the local stores you can get St. Louis style spares for 3.99/lb and those Danish ribs for 1.09/lb. Don't much care for those Danish ribs. Seems like they cook different everytime and the dang things are always frozen when you buy them. Oh yeah, and brisket is 1.29/lb at Wally World or Sam's. Everybody else is proud of theirs.....1.89/lb and up.

Looks like it may be a chicken weekend since leg quarters are .39/lb and wings are 2.49 for a 2.5 lb bag.

Boneless pork cusjhion meat, $1.48/#. Can someone tell me what the hell is cushion meat?

Our local chain (food lion) acutely has a decent sale starting tomorrow. Pork Spares are 1.98 per pound. JD fatties are 2/$5, Picnic shoulders are .98 per pound

See, those are the types of sales that I had expected to see going into a holiday weekend. Nada on the good sales here. Looks like it's a chickie weekend for the fam - $.69 per pound on whole birds all day long at Costco. Best deal I can find.

YES! Just heard that Sun Fresh has packers of brisket for $.99 per pound. Much better! Now I just gotta find one!

jsmoker said:
I know it's been bounced around in a couple of other threads, but I was wondering what everyone is seeing the price of meat do ahead of the Memorial Day weekend? Here in KC there is only one store - Dillons - that is running any specials at all. And that is only a brisket ad for $1.69 per pound. As Jeff said last week, Price Chopper had brisket for $.99 per pound.

Had planned on doing some stocking up in anticipation of a good price weekend, but I feel like I've been left at the Q altar!!!

Is this an ongoing trend across the country? I know oil has jacked up the price of everything but yikes! :?

Any of the brethren out there seeing killer deals? Thanks!

I've observed the cost of groceries in general has increased alot in the last year or 2. Probably has to do with the imbedded energy and fertelizer costs (mainly made from natural gas) which have clearly been escalating.

and my little grocery store has Kingsford 20 pound bags for $3.99. Limit of two.

I've been there three times this week, and this time I took the OL and we both got 2 bags.

Ribs were down tonight at Sams........2.67 for spares and 3.67 for BBs. Brisket flats still 2.46 and butts were 1.42

Local grocer was running frozen cyros of ribs for 1.39 a lb. Tyson brand, didn't look that good.......

Picked up a packer brisket for $1.24 at Sam's friday. Went to the local grocery store for a few things saturday and saw packer brisket for $3.49. I actualy laughed outloud. Small town with 1 grocery store.

Back