Hamburgers on the Grill

lazyjacres

Take a breath!
Reaction score
One of the women from Chamber of Commerce where I grew up called and asked if I would come compete in their BBQ contest at the fair. This is their first year, and are trying to get the thing jump started.
One of the catagories is BBQ'd hamburgers. I was wondering if anyone has a kick arss BBQ hamburger that they would be willing to share?
I don't know why, but burgers are one thing that I usually don't do on the grill.

Get some ground chuck patties from a butcher (not the grocery store) if you can.
The bacon...I use Sam's precooked that I can microwave, but use what you want, cook it up.

I also add a small chunk of mesquite to the coals.

Sprinkle some Montreal Steak seasoning one one side of the patty.
Place on grill (seasoned side up) over med/hot coals for about 6 mins
Flip over and sprinkle a little more seasoning, add a dash or 3 of wooster
Brush on some kind of spicy finishing sauce. We use my wife's homemade Spicy Peach.
place a couple slices cooked bacon on
add several jalepeno slices
cover with provolone cheese. By the time the cheese melts you should be done.
Sometimes I also add some Feta or Blue cheese under the Provolone.

Not real sure if thats what your looking for, but it's one way.

I was kicking around the Blue Cheese idea, but some people don't go for Blue cheese. If I put peppers and onions in the meat, do you think I should cook them down first? I was thinking they might be too crispy if they are cooked in the burger from raw.
Good looking recipe...
The stuffed Blue cheese burger in the link looks extremely interesting.

I've been really enjoying Ruby Tuesday's Bison Burgers. I don't know if you have to use beef, but if you could get ahold of some bison meat (check the 'net) it might be something a little different.

If you know of anyone that has some homegrown Black Angus, beg for a few pounds a ground beef. Killer!

If the burgers don't have ot be beef, here is a great pork burger recipe...

Blues Hog Pork Burgers

2 pounds ground pork; course grind
2 teaspoons blues hog rub
1/3 cup red onion; finely chopped
1/3 cup blues hog tennessee red sauce
6 hamburger buns

Gently combine pork, onions, rub, and sauce

Gently form six 6oz. patties, handling as little as possible to avoid compacting it.

Grill to desired doneness. You can baste with Red Sauce if desired.

I've been really enjoying Ruby Tuesday's Bison Burgers. I don't know if you have to use beef, but if you could get ahold of some bison meat (check the 'net) it might be something a little different.

We buy buffalo{bison} hamburger meat at our local Publix supermarket here. Also some other cuts. It is produced by Maverick Ranch.
It is pretty tasty stuff.

Walker's Wood jerk seasoning. A thin spread over the top of each burger, and knead in. Great little kick of flavor.

you gotta talk to mr wannabebbqqueen, skip, he makes awesome burgers

My only suggestion is to grind your own beef if that is an option. Get a bunch of different beef cuts and mix them all, add some ground sausage and veal or turkey...get a good spice recipe and put the chesse in between two patties and seal. You will win bro! :twisted:

For a BBQ burger, I take 4 lbs of ground chuck, dice one small 1015 sweet onion, add salt and pepper and mix in 1 jar of Woody's Cook-In Sauce. Makes a real good burger with a bbq flavor.

you gotta talk to mr wannabebbqqueen, skip, he makes awesome burgers

Agreed... Julie's husband Skip makes some killer burgers..

very simple but he makes it an art form... He says it's all in the technique of forming the patty with just the right amount of ground meat along and packing with just the right amount of pressure. He also spends time forming the sides at the right curvature...

The patty melt of his is deadly also...

I think I'm sold on the cheese pocket idea. I'm gonna do a test run Wednesday with the blue cheese pocket Blues Hog bacon burger for starters, and probably a couple variations of the same with different spice and sauces. I'll have several testers around for comparison.
Lots of great ideas here, thanks. I'll let you know the results.

Back