Grilled Vidalia onion question

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to make the grilled onions with bullion, and butter in them. Does anyone know how long they cook? Thanks Brian

Not knowing what time and temp you are using , I cook till tender , could take up to an hour.

Rick

I'm likin' the sound of that...recipe???...please...:p

I've lost the recipe, but as I remember it: Peel the onion, and cut a small flat on the bottom to stand it on. Cut a cone wedge in the top of the onion. put a cube of beef bullion in the wedge(I use beef base instead of the bullion), then a tablespoon of butter. Wrap in foil, then cook on the grill.
It comes out tasting like a super intense French Onion soup. Enjoy Brian

I scoop out the top a little & put a good pat of butter sprinkle it with salt,pepper, & garlic salt & wrap in foil,put it on the grill until it is tender feeling. I can make a meal out of that onion & I don't like onions. Except cooked in foods.

I've lost the recipe, but as I remember it: Peel the onion, and cut a small flat on the bottom to stand it on. Cut a cone wedge in the top of the onion. put a cube of beef bullion in the wedge(I use beef base instead of the bullion), then a tablespoon of butter. Wrap in foil, then cook on the grill.
It comes out tasting like a super intense French Onion soup. Enjoy Brian

Thanks Brian...my wife has one question...where's the cheese? :p I'm already hearing about recipe mods...:biggrin:

The comment of up to an hour above will put you in the ballpark. Might need a little longer depending on temp.

Brown sugar works in this too!

I use a apple corer to make the "well" and use beef base, butter and Spicewine Blue Collar sauce.

I use a a paring knife and cut the onion into wedges from the inside of the well so that its cut into petals. Just be careful not to cut through the outer layer or it will leak into the foil. The flavor works it's way all the way out to the outside layer this way. Easier to cut up when done too.

I'm likin' the sound of that...recipe???...please...:p

Not sure if this is the recipe or not but these get raves.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35397,00.html

J

Saturday Night Vidalia Onions Recipe courtesy Paula Deen Show: Paula's PartyEpisode: Paula's Favorite Foods
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
5 large Vidalia onions or comparable sweet onion
5 beef bouillon cubes
5 tablespoons butter
Pepper

Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill. Trim a slice from the top of each onion, and peel the onion without cutting off the root end. With a potato peeler, cut a small cone-shaped section from the center of the onion. Cut the onions into quarters from the top down, stopping within a half inch of the root end. Place a bouillon cube in the center, slip slivers of butter in between the sections and sprinkle with pepper. Wrap each onion in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
Place the onions directly onto the hot coals and cook for 45 minutes, turning every so often. These can also be baked in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes, but I still say they're better grilled over charcoal. Serve in individual bowls because the onions produce a lot of broth, which tastes like French onion soup.

just had to try it!! heck i aint but about 80 miles from vidalia!!:-D included some leftover riblets from sat.!!

Attachments

• 2008_0511snake-birds0022.JPG
    2008_0511snake-birds0022.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 267
I like the onions with the top coned out a little and use lawrys seasoning salt along with as much butter as I get in it. I love those onions I cannot wait till spring then the stores start selling them.

Anybody tried cooking with the foil open for a few to get some smoke??

Recipe with a twist

I could not find this when this thread was new but here is an idea for onions. It's off the Barbecue America website.

4 large sweet onions (Vidalias of course, I'm from GA)
1 cup melted butter
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
garlic salt
ground black pepper
PAM Grilling spray

Slice off the bottom so they stand up straight. Peel and use a grapefruit knife or melon baller to remove a core almost to the bottom.

Spray outside of onion with Pam and salt and pepper the outside and the inside and place on a large piece of foil.

Mix melted butter, bourbon, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and fill the cavities in the onions with the mixure. Reserve remaining mixture and keep warm.

Seal the onions in the foil and cook indirect for 1 1/2 hours. Drizzle the warm leftover butter mix over the onions before serving.

This is the best grilled onion recipe I've found. Enjoy.

I like to drizzle them in Olive Oil and Smoke them in open foil for 2-2.5 hours.
attachment.php

Don't rule out sweet Texas 1015 onions.

texas 1015

What are Texas 1015 onions? I saw a Texas 1015 BBQ sauce in the grocery yesterday and didn't know what it meant.

[SIZE=+2]Sweet Talk About Texas SpringSweet and Texas 1015 SuperSweet Onions[/SIZE] Onions sweet enough that they don't bite back? And mild enough to keep tear ducts from springing a leak? You bet! Texas SpringSweet and Texas 1015 SuperSweet Onions, the first fresh onions harvested each year, have become favorites among consumers nationwide for their distinctively mild, juicy and sweet-tasting characteristics.
What gives these onions such a sweet disposition? Researchers point to South Texas' sunny, semi-tropical climate and rich, fertile soil. Additionally, Texas SpringSweet Onions (the umbrella name for all South Texas onion varieties shipped from March to June) also contain very little pyruvate, the chemical that causes tears and strong flavor. Further, the 1015 SuperSweet Onion, a SpringSweet variety, has become a Lone Star State legend for its even milder, juicier characteristics.
Texas 1015 SuperSweet Onions - The Sweetest In Its Class
The 1015 SuperSweet Onion, named after its recommended planting date of October 15, was introduced by the South Texas onion industry in 1985 after 10 years of research. It is the sweetest, mildest onion anywhere in the world.
Texas 1015 SuperSweets are available from mid-April through May and are predominantly single-centered, making them ideal for large, uniform-size onion rings. They also grow to softball-size proportions, often weighing in at one pound or more each and measuring over four inches in diameter. The optimum-size eating onion - in terms of mildness and sweetness - measures three to four inches in diameter and weighs 14 to 16 ounces.

.... continued here
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/onion/sweettalk.html

Back