Saving Brisket Trimmings for Grinding

musicmanj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I decided I want to start grinding my brisket trimmings to make burgers.

Usually when I trim a brisket, I focus on removing fat and keep as much meat as possible. Well, I cooked a brisket last week, and while it came out good, I'm seeing there are parts that just wouldn't cook well. I'm thinking I can be more aggressive with my trimming, however I don't like to waste anything.

So I'm looking to buy a meat grinder to start grinding brisket trimmings. I maybe cook a brisket once every 4-6 weeks, and might not have enough trimmed meat from one brisket to be worth grinding up.

My question is, how should I keep the trimmings? Should I grind right away, vacuum seal, freeze and then combine with another brisket trimmings next month? Or should I freeze the trimmings and then grind them later? Or maybe combine the trimmings with other ground beef and don't worry about freezing.

For those that grind their brisket trimmings, what do you do?

BTW, I would be going for something close to a 80/20 mix.

I'm a pretty aggressive brisket trimmer, I remove most of the fat between the point and flat, the hard fat pockets on either side of the point, and at least trim it down to 1/4" all over. I don't really keep or grind any of the hard fat unless it's still attached to the red meat below it. I trim the actual meat off anywhere that it looks like it'd affect aerodynamics or where it might be dangly or thin and prone to overcooking or burning. on a 15lb brisket I usually have 3-4 lbs of fat I just throw away, and maybe a pound or slightly more of grindable meat. Sometimes the brisket flat will be thinner than it appears in the packaging so I'll just take off a couple inches from the end, I'll often time s cut off 1/4-1/2" from either side of the flat two when shaping it.

I probably wouldn't buy a grinder solely for a pound or two of meat every 4-6 weeks, but there are lots of other ways to use scraps as well that might make it a worthwhile endeavor. I debone spare rib tips and trimming spares down to St Louis trim style, usually get about 3lbs of ground pork per 2-pack of spares. You can obviously grind all sorts of other trimmings or whole cuts like chuck roast and it's way better than store bought :thumb:

We save our competition brisket and butt trimmings and freeze until we have enough to do a grinding session. Probably every couple of months. I think the brisket trimmings end up at about 80/20, but I never bothered to weigh it out.

I've been keeping the brisket trimmings. I keep them in their whole components until ready to grind in the freezer. When you get enough to make some burgers do a roughly 80/20 mix.

I've also been planning to do a confit with a bunch of the leftover brisket fat as well. Saw somebody do chuck burnt ends finished in brisket beef tallow.

If you happen to have a kitchen aid mixer the grinder adapter works well.

Thanks!!! I appreciate all of your replies.

I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer, and will likely start with the meat grinding attachment. I’m sure I’ll find other meats to grind....kind of like I’ve found other meats to cook. LOL

If your are going to get a kitchen aid attachment, I would recommend looking for an all metal option. The one made by kitchen aid has plastic housing which kind of sucks.

If I can score a cheap brisket, I’ll just grind the whole thing into burger.

Back