Test run

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
I need some help. I have a used Good-One T-60 that I need to try out. I have not used this type of smoker before and was wondering if I should fire it up with or without cooking anything? I really don't want to ruin good meat, but then again how will I know what it will do?

Try a forgiving meat. Like a butt. It can handle temp swings and high heat. Then you can have some pulled pork when done.

I'm not absolutely convinced that I am using the best method for firing up my Model 42, but here goes...

Basically, I treat the Good One as a giant WSM. I load the firebox with either charcoal of lump (lump preferred, but decent lump is hard to find around here), leaving a hole in the middle. I open the top vents 6 turns and open the firebox vents two or three turns. Then I dump one or two chimneys of lit charcoal or lump into the whole in the middle and do a modified minion burn. I leave the firebox lid open until the fire is really going, then I close the firebox lid and open the damper all the way. Once the temp is in the right range, I close the damper part way and start to close the firebox vents to regulate the temp.

If I am doing a higher temp cook (for turkey or chicken, or is I am in a hurry :-D ), I will put the lump in the firebox without the hole in the middle and spread the lit lump across the whole pile to get more burning at a time. I can easily maintain 300+ this way.

Either way, I add wood (usually chunks since that's what I have on hand, but small splits work fine, too) as required for flavor.

Try a search of the BBQ Forum archives. There are a few guys there who cook on model 60's, including Rick Salmon. They have some good tips.

Good luck!

Oh yeah... Don't do a test burn with it empty. Cook something! A butt is great. Or some fatties or some ABTs. That way you have something to enjoy besides the experience! :-D

Back