Cast Iron Question

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
My son is looking for a cast iron pan.
He's in college and I just want very basic.
He can get a better set later.
Things do always return from college.

Lodge or Utopia? or something else in the same price range.

Thanks

All my CI is Lodge. Just cause I liked the first so stuck with it. I'm sure there are other great brands out there, but I can personally only speak to Lodge. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter your choice. I would think they are all great as long as you care for them.

Thrift store.
agreed.

I have lodge but I also have some vintage stuff I got from my mom and gramma, that stuff is SOOO much better, it's lighter and cooks better and has a smoother finish even on that non cooking surfaces (exterior, handle, etc).

IMHO, the lodge stuff needs to be sanded smooth and refinished to be truly good

I never find any at thrift stores

Use to be a common find, getting harder though. So called "Antique" stores are still a good source, can't speak to price though. As someone already said, Academy Sports has a good Lodge inventory.

My wife has a cast iron collection and her and other afficionados beleive this that and the other thing about them... Me, I just grab the one that's the right size. A decent thickness and seasoned and I can't tell the difference. My advice would be to get the one on sale :)

My son is looking for a cast iron pan.
He's in college and I just want very basic.
He can get a better set later.
Things do always return from college.

Lodge or Utopia? or something else in the same price range.

Thanks

I suggest a combo cooker as shown here at Lodge's web site.
It's a mini Dutch oven. And the lid can be used as a 10" skillet.
But the problem with CI for a college student is that you need to clean it by hand after every meal.

The lodge pans are fine and reasonably priced, no need for a "better" pan unless you really get into it, and then I'd suggest looking for a vintage Griswold or Wagner. A lot of the new non lodge pans are from China, might as well go with the Lodge, even Walmart has them.
A 10" pan is a good size, if you want a lid pick up a thrift store SS pot and lid, the lid should fit over the pan.
Keep it seasoned and it will last forever.

I have CI pans I don't use anymore and if you were close you could have one, but even if shipped, the lodge is still probably cheaper.

In college most housemates will forever be burning stuff in the pan and leaving it for him to clean. Or they will leave it in the sink, filled with soapy water. That was my experience.

Had a few Lodge skillets. Pretty rough interior surface. Maybe not doing it correctly...was not able to season them to "slide out eggs".

Bought a 12" Lodge carbon steel skillet that I like far better. Seasoning/care is the same as CI but starts with a much smoother cooking surface out of the box. Thought it might be a bit lighter than CI but they're about the same.

I prefer the vintage CI, Griswold and Wagner... and I have 3's, 5's and a 9.

VKfhPaL.jpg

I do have some Lodge items, like the griddle in the background that I'm pleased with.

uIopiVU.jpg

If you want something different, this is a Lodge drop biscuit pan. It has straight sides, not tapered like a muffin pan. The biscuits are Pillsbury frozen Grands. Not the tube ones, so you can cook 1 or 2 if you like.

1DU1VSZ.jpg

Back