Corned beef

I did not care for meatheads pastrami recipe. I found it overly salty and lacking depth

I tried Meathead’s Katz’s pastrami recipe a couple weeks ago (forgot to post it). I used a corned beef brisket flat I bought at costco. It turned out so salty my wife and daughter wouldnt eat it. My son and I ate some, but we both thought it was way too salty.

Im not sure where the issue arose. I soaked the corned beef in water for 8 hours, changing the water once. Perhaps I should have soaked longer and/or changed the water more frequently? Or maybe his pastrami rub recipe has too much salt? Or a little of both? In any event, as we all were lookin forward to homemade pastrami it was a huge disappointment and my wife had to scramble to make something for her and my daughter.

For the smoking part, I smoked it at 250 for 5 hours, then 350, in my pellet smoker to an IT of 203. I never wrap, and I didnt on this occasion. Although the result was far too salty, see above, I really liked the bark, the pastrami flavour, and the texture of the meat.

I’ve just got to figure out the salt issue.

I'll be using a store bought corned beef and its soaking in water as we speak. I will soak it for a couple of days and apply the rub on Monday. I'll be using a rub that I got from About.com several years ago and it has worked very well for me in the past. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I'll report back on the results along with a picture or two. :-D

Please let me know how long you soak it in water and how often you change the water — I think that was a big part of my mistake.

I soak for 24 hours give or take a bit, then let dry in the fridge overnight. Did the rub you used have salt? Use a salt-free rub.

I tried Meathead’s Katz’s pastrami recipe a couple weeks ago (forgot to post it). I used a corned beef brisket flat I bought at costco. It turned out so salty my wife and daughter wouldnt eat it. My son and I ate some, but we both thought it was way too salty.

Im not sure where the issue arose. I soaked the corned beef in water for 8 hours, changing the water once. Perhaps I should have soaked longer and/or changed the water more frequently? Or maybe his pastrami rub recipe has too much salt? Or a little of both? In any event, as we all were lookin forward to homemade pastrami it was a huge disappointment and my wife had to scramble to make something for her and my daughter.

There shouldn't be any salt in a pastrami rub, did you by chance substitute garlic salt for garlic powder? What brand of corned beef did you use? Some use a much stronger brine... I tend to stick to one brand for consistency. I use a 2.5 gallon food grade bucket, and there is at least 1.5 gallons of water in there.

I soak for 24 hours give or take a bit, then let dry in the fridge overnight. Did the rub you used have salt? Use a salt-free rub.
Soaked 24 hours, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels. Applied rub this morning and will let sit in the fridge for 48 hours and start the cook process on Tuesday morning.

This is the rub I have used for several years on all manor of game meat that I corned myself and then smoked. It has worked very well and did not have an overpowering saltiness on anything I've done in the past. Not sure what a commercially done corned beef brisket will do after soaking/rinsing, but I'll know for sure Tuesday night after it is done. :biggrin1:

RUB

• 1/4 cup (60 mL) kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup (60 mL) paprika
  • 3 tablespoons (45 mL) coriander seeds
  • 3 tablespoons (45 mL) brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) black peppercorns
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white peppercorns
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
I use 4 teaspoons of garlic powder instead of cloves so it will keep on the shelf after I vacuum seal it.

I hope somebody can tell me before Tuesday how to use my Instant Pot to finish my pastrami instead of wrapping and cooking in the smoker.

I hope somebody can tell me before Tuesday how to use my Instant Pot to finish my pastrami instead of wrapping and cooking in the smoker.

Bob, several finishing options are here in Thirdeye's Tutorial.

I typically run mine through with about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of water under the rack on high pressure for about 15 minutes with a natural release. Probe the hunk of meat for tenderness and if it's not tender in all the real estate, run it through a second cycle.

Bob, several finishing options are here in Thirdeye's Tutorial.

I typically run mine through with about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of water under the rack on high pressure for about 15 minutes with a natural release. Probe the hunk of meat for tenderness and if it's not tender in all the real estate, run it through a second cycle.
Thanks Shadow. I just sent thirdeye an email for some clarification on his Method #4 which uses a simple pressure cooker which I also have.

I would probably use some beef stock for the liquid instead of water and I wonder if your 15 minutes in the Instant Pot equates to his 25 - 40 minutes in the pressure cooker. He also says he has gone as long as 50 minutes for a little more tenderness. His times are based on an altitude of 5200 famsl (mine is 4200 famsl) and a brisket weight around 4 lbs. I'll be doing a 2 lb brisket. So your 15 minutes might be very close.

Can I assume that the time starts AFTER the float valve pops up indicating the top is now sealed?

Can I assume that the time starts AFTER the float valve pops up indicating the top is now sealed?

My times are based on about 4300ft elevation, and are a WAG that works for me.

Yes, the timer starts once the pressure cooker is sealed.

Thanks Shadow. I just sent thirdeye an email for some clarification on his Method #4 which uses a simple pressure cooker which I also have.

I would probably use some beef stock for the liquid instead of water and I wonder if your 15 minutes in the Instant Pot equates to his 25 - 40 minutes in the pressure cooker. He also says he has gone as long as 50 minutes for a little more tenderness. His times are based on an altitude of 5200 famsl (mine is 4200 famsl) and a brisket weight around 4 lbs. I'll be doing a 2 lb brisket. So your 15 minutes might be very close.

Bob's main question in the e-mail was: Your process lists Method #4 as using a pressure cooker (which I also have and use a lot for canning fish and game meat). I’m not sure how to convert your pressure cooker method over to the IP. Can you give me a hint; or better yet, full IP instructions

I don't have a IP, but they operate at 11.6 psi. If I use my pressure canner I'm finishing the pastrami between 13.5 and 15 psi. My write up is geared toward a 4 pound corned beef, and smoking it to 150° internal before moving to the finish. So, if everything remains the same... cooking in an IP will need more time. A smaller corned beef would need less time. And a corned beef smoked to 190° will need less time. All that said, following natural release at whatever finishing time..., if the pastrami is not quite tender enough, just pressure the cooker back up for 5 minutes.

PS - save the juices from the pressure. They can be used to warm slices, or as a dip for sandwiches, or as a base for a Reuben soup.

I guess we need someone with hands-on experience with an Instant Pot to chime in. I just found 3 recipes for cooking a corned beef in an IP and all the times were 90 minutes... but a corned beef is raw. When a pastrami goes in to the IP, it has a head start on internal temperature.

Exactly

I guess we need someone with hands-on experience with an Instant Pot to chime in. I just found 3 recipes for cooking a corned beef in an IP and all the times were 90 minutes... but a corned beef is raw. When a pastrami goes in to the IP, it has a head start on internal temperature.
Yes-sir; that's pretty much what I found also. Although one recipe I found said 70 minutes. I'm doing a plain corned beef and cabbage today - it is, after all, St Patrick's Day - and I plan on doing the 90.

I guess I'll just start with 15 minutes in the IP on the pastrami and check temp/tenderness and do some more if needed. Learn by doing as 'they' say. It's all fun and good food - I hope. :thumb:

Back