Looking for Tips on building a smoker trailer..

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine wants to build one and he's asking me to research the design, he'll do the welding.

Just looking for general design ideas and what you'd do different on a smoker that you built. Stuff, like how big should the firebox be in comparison to the smoking chamber. Also, the opening between the two. Best place to put the exhaust stack and such.

Thanks in advance.

Yes offset, not sure on second question. What's the advantage/disadvantage to that?

crossczek has some awesome plans that are at the very least an awesome starting point. Idk if he's still offering them up for that beast. But build a reverse flow, you'll be much happier

A reverse flow pit has a steel plate completely bisecting the cook chamber (separating it into upper and lower half's), except for a small opening opposite the firebox. The heat and smoke enter below this plate on the firebox side and travel across the bottom of the plate to the other side of the cook chamber to the small opening, heating the steel plate and causing it to radiate that heat up. The heat and smoke then make the turn up into the upper half, doubles back toward the firebox, and travels across the shelves where the meat is, like a convection oven. The chimney sits low into the cook chamber causing the cook chamber to completely fill with heat and smoke before it's exhausted out.

This is just one of many ways and styles.
PM me if you want my plans. Like 'early mornin' smokin' said, it's a good starting point. If nothing else you can use it to scribble your own notes and changes on. (and, thank you 'early mornin' smokin' for the compliment!)

reverseflowexplination-1.jpg

Could I have the plans. I would be making a smaller one.
Thanks
Andres

Back