Best in Smoke is on FoodNetwork

How f ing retarded was that?????? the cooks make a dish geared towards 11 year old kids. The kids vote is just to win immunity from elimination. At the end the judges vote on the remaining cooks dishes,. Matt Lang was a genius , he didnt give a **** about the kids palate but won over the judges who voted for his food which you cleary seen the kids making faces at. So in the end they didnt like chris' sauce , stupid

I've been told we start losing are keen sense of taste at puberty. So those kids' taste buds were too sensitive to appreciate the fine food they were eating.

Now get a bunch of hungry airborne marines to do the judging, you'll have much different results!

just caught it on DVR..... Well, that basically sucked. I thought peoples choice meant cook for the people, not the judges. Chris got robbed... they said that if the judges were voting, it was the 'winner' that would be going home.. Sorry chris!! That sucked.

yup, that was a dupe! how can you be expected to cook for BOTH 11 year olds and crusty ol' critics???:roll:

totally unfair.

sorry chris. i was rooting for ya.

Last edited:
I have realized that the word BBQ is not in the title so there should be no expectations of seeing any. I love seeing the brethren and the legends but why don't they just move it into Kithchen Stadium and get it over with?

I have watched the 1st episode about 12 times. The second episode was very entertaining. Yes, it was pretty controversial the way that Chris was eliminated, but that's the way these shows go. It's not really about good Q, it's more about good entertainment.

The Shed cook was very happy with the judges in episode one but in episode two he started to blame the judges. You can't have it both ways.

Matt Lang reminds me of Doonesberry cartoons for some reason and his reference to the "Old, ah, whats her face judge" (Amy Mills) was so funny. "Thanks for screwing us over there" was such an honest reaction. The poor guy was thrown for a loop.

Anyway, I am a fan of the show and will be DVRing the show and copying it to DVD. My thanks to the Food Network for producing it.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of cooking comp shows, and really enjoy the staples - Iron Chef, Chopped, Top Chef, etc. I even enjoyed Pitmasters season 2 for the cooking footage, even if the judging was a bit goofy.

That said, I'm finding that I really don't care for this Best in Smoke show much, because I don't really understand the concept, and I'm not really sure the competitors do, either. The four challenges thusfar haven't been very interesting, the judging is all over the place, the quality of the ingredients looks to be pretty poor, and I'm missing that element of judging discussion that would really help bring this all together.

I get the feeling that the people who designed this show weren't on the same page as the folks who were in charge of promoting it, because I fully expected to see a top-notch barbeque competition show, not a curveball-after-curveball based competition that's been pretty poorly exectuted to this point, in my opinion.

Hoping this gets better in the next few episodes.

Do they even want this to be a BBQ show? I'm not an expert but I watched this episode earlier and the guy that the judges liked the most made what I though was the least BBQ dish of them all. Obviously I didn't taste it and I'm not accomplished enough for the network to throw me in there as a judge but I have been disappointed so far.

P.S. - I need to try me some grilled pickles.

Live by the BH and die by the BH. That's the law of BBQ nature.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Now that my horse is in the barn I doubt I'll waste any more time on this silly format.

What's in the secret basket next week? Brisket, marshmallows, sauerkraut and a 2 hr time limit?

If they want a bbq show , the network should go to a state know for bbq such as Nc , Texas Ala ,etc and recruite some of the locals and let them do it their way , but of course their way would be pretty boreing,

Back