What to do with bottom round roast?

smokemonster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First off I just wanted to say hello and how much I enjoy this site. Before last summer, I was just a guy that had a cheap gas grill that I used a couple times during the week when the weather was nice. I always liked the taste of food grilled over charcoal, so I decided to get myself a Weber Kettle. Well, it wasn't long before I got hooked on cooking over live fire. I soon began trying some small scale smoking with my kettle and had some pretty good results. I recently bought myself a WSM and I now have BBQ fever. I've been trying new things every weekend since I bought it. Not even the cruddy winter weather has been holding me back.

Now that I've done the introduction thing, I really could use some help. I saw a couple of posts about doing pulled chuck roast so I thought I would give it a try. I went to the store yesterday and ended up buying a bottom round roast because it was on special. I figured a roast is a roast and it should work just fine :doh:. Well, I have since found out that the bottom round is a much leaner cut and I'm afraid it won't do well low and slow. Should I still try and smoke this thing at lower temps or would it do better with a hot and fast cook? I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could throw my way. Thanks!

Last edited:
That cut of meat is very tough and lends itself to being cooked medium rare and then sliced very thin. I have slow roasted the meat on your grill to about 140 degrees (wrapped in foil) and when done let rest. Slice the meat very thin; suggest using a meat slicer. In addition I would make an Au Jus to dunk the meat in and then place on a Kaiser roll with some pickle chips etc...

Grill it...Do a search here for pit beef. Cook medium to M/R and slice real thin and serve on a great roll with a little horseradish sauce and sweet BBQ sauce.

I like to do a sort of pit beef thing that has already been mentioned. It also does make a good pot roast, especially with lots of onions and mushrooms.

Italian Beef - then slice it really thin - my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

I use it to make Chicago style beef sandwiches! I use a modified recipe from Dr BBQ that works well for us. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=785965&postcount=10 I basically triple the liquids and then use the spices per his directions. I like to use the juices to reheat the sliced beef like we do it here in Chicago!

Would you believe this roast...
brisket021.jpg

Made all of this...
brisket022.jpg

brisket023.jpg

Into a pot of hot juices and put on some day old Jimmy Johns bread with a couple slices of fresh mozz. Heaven!!!!!!

brisket025.jpg

brisket032.jpg

^^^^^^^ Yep - that's exactly what I was talking about!

Throw it over some Italian sausage...
IMG_1297.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses! I knew I'd get some great ideas here. I found a couple of threads for pit beef and I think I'm going to give it a try.

Back