brisket safety

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I think I made a real bonehead move. I bought a brisket on Tuesday for this weekend's cook. I was pretty excited about the prospect of finally doing some cooking so I took it out of the cryo and trimmed it. Then I put it in a Tupperware container and into a cold fridge. It only now occurs to me that I did all this 4 days before the cook - again, I was excited to DO something. Since this is a practice brisket I have the meat sold to someone. Would you cook it for them or is 4 days in the fridge out of the cryo too long?

Yes it is fine, completely fine. You will know when you open it if its not. If it is bad I would bring it back to the person who sold it to you and demand a refund. It should last at least 10 days out of the cryo.

Ever buy meat from the "clearance" section at the supermarket like I do? It's been out of the cryovac for a week most likely. Color and odor should be your guide, no matter what. If it's green or has that sickening sweet rotten smell it's no good. Your brisket should be in primo shape. We like to age meat for a few days wrapped in damp (not wet!) paper towels, changing them when the become saturated. Good luck.

I have a cook for this weekend and it is supposed to rain. Last time I sold in the rain it hurt my sells. Is it ok to freeze a brisket that has already been rubbed with the dry rub and will it change the taste if I freeze it and pull it out for next weekend?

Back