Added the Weber Ranch Kettle to the stable

Cooking for a minimum of 9 people each day, I have often wondered if the Ranch would be overkill. How many chimneys of charcoal does it require just to bring it up to temp as a nice 2 zone cooker? What’s the cleanup like compared to my 26.75 kettle? The 26.75 does meet my daily needs more often than not... but there are definitely times where it takes more than one round, especially if we have another family or two over.

I often run my Ranch on a 1/2 chimney or so to cook 2 Ribeyes. Directly over the coals to start with, then I move the ribeyes just outside of being directly over the coals for some indirect. Or I'll start them that way, then finish with a hot direct sear.

When doing a good amount of chicken, I'll still only use a full chimney dumped and spread out in the area just under the flip up grates. Single layered. Put the chicken down to mark one side. Lid down for a bit. Lid up to flip, then back down. Once marked on both sides, I'll move the chicken over to the middle for indirect. Obviously, if seriously loading it up, it would take more coal. Or if wanting to do a large number of direct cook items. But overall, it really doesn't use that much coal.

Cleanup is kind of one downside. I remove both grates and use a home made scooper. Either part of a cut off 2 liter bottle, or a hard plastic gallon jug with a handle and the bottom cut out of it. Weber used to make a nice shovel, but it's been discontinued.

I often run my Ranch on a 1/2 chimney or so to cook 2 Ribeyes. Directly over the coals to start with, then I move the ribeyes just outside of being directly over the coals for some indirect. Or I'll start them that way, then finish with a hot direct sear.

When doing a good amount of chicken, I'll still only use a full chimney dumped and spread out in the area just under the flip up grates. Single layered. Put the chicken down to mark one side. Lid down for a bit. Lid up to flip, then back down. Once marked on both sides, I'll move the chicken over to the middle for indirect. Obviously, if seriously loading it up, it would take more coal. Or if wanting to do a large number of direct cook items. But overall, it really doesn't use that much coal.

Cleanup is kind of one downside. I remove both grates and use a home made scooper. Either part of a cut off 2 liter bottle, or a hard plastic gallon jug with a handle and the bottom cut out of it. Weber used to make a nice shovel, but it's been discontinued.

So is the Ranch your daily driver? If I were ever to do this, it would have to replace my 26.75 kettle as I just don’t have room for both.

I used to use a scoop like that on my 22" daisy wheel kettles. Every time I hit a vent, I lost half the ashes out of the scoop. Then some kind person left an empty plastic vodka bottle by my mailbox.
picture.php

Cut the bottom off and it worked so much better. Fits the shape of the kettle well. An empty salad dressing bottle works almost as well. I use it to move the ashes into the center of the bowl, then use a empty coffee can to scoop up the major portion of the cold ashes. I then use the vodka bottle to put the rest into the coffee can. It scrapes grease off the bowl well, also.

So is the Ranch your daily driver? If I were ever to do this, it would have to replace my 26.75 kettle as I just don’t have room for both.

The Ranch is our daily driver in the summer. It doesn’t take much more charcoal than a 26 or 22 if any more really. When we first got the first one, we figured it needed proportionally more charcoal and ended up creating a massive backflash and mushroom cloud! I learned quickly not to do that again.

I bounce back and forth between the ranch, the miniRK and SSP. A man's gotta have options.

Could/would I use it as a daily driver ? Yes.

I bounce back and forth between the ranch, the miniRK and SSP. A man's gotta have options.

Could/would I use it as a daily driver ? Yes.

The Ranch is our daily driver in the summer. It doesn’t take much more charcoal than a 26 or 22 if any more really. When we first got the first one, we figured it needed proportionally more charcoal and ended up creating a massive backflash and mushroom cloud! I learned quickly not to do that again.

This place is DANGEROUS! Now you’ve both got me thinking as this would absolutely eliminate my occasional grill real estate issues. Would be soooo nice!

This place is DANGEROUS! Now you’ve both got me thinking as this would absolutely eliminate my occasional grill real estate issues. Would be soooo nice!
It absolutely would. If you just need the extra space a couple of times a year, I don't know that I'd pay anywhere close to retail for one. Unless you are just absolutely flush and it's no big deal.

But if you could snag one for a good price and have the room for it?? Absolutely!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Being your neighbor...and all...I'll gladly give you a bit of advice. I had a Ranch. I don't regret one bit selling it and getting second 26"

As much as you love your 26.75"...get another and don't look back.

You're welcome! :clap:

Being your neighbor...and all...I'll gladly give you a bit of advice. I had a Ranch. I don't regret one bit selling it and getting second 26"

As much as you love your 26.75"...get another and don't look back.

You're welcome! :clap:
Why not both?
71dfaa7e4078739daa85efedb1db2cb9.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Here’s what the Slow ‘N Sear XL looks like in a Ranch Kettle. Smaller than expected. I may need another one!

ae73300de8c115267fa29be07a2a557f.jpg

6c2d814a67c069c1935277ce05e9c44e.jpg

NIce. Do they still make and sell the RKE SnS ?

It’s twice the price of the XL and have been discontinued. I’m sure there wasn’t much demand for the product but surely someone have it second hand to sell? It’s 3 inches deeper and hugs the curves of the RK a lot better.

That XL looks like it will hold more charcoalthan I need for most Ranch cooks. I would try it out before chasing something bigger or getting a second one.

Back