Gray Pork

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
What makes pork turn gray after its pulled or sliced? It looks so awesome when freshly pulled. Goes from pink to gray.

Oxygen?

What makes pork turn gray after its pulled or sliced? It looks so awesome when freshly pulled. Goes from pink to gray.

I think it is mostly due to oxidaton. Back when I had my bandera (the thread on it may be on here in the archives somewhere)...I did a FULL sized ham. Took about 22 hours or so....

Anyway, I wanted to keep the nice pink 'ham' color, and also it was so much, I needed to keep the meat preserved in order to be able to eat on it for awhile. That is a LOT of meat...hahah.

Anyway, I found and bought nitrate poweder...I need to go look up the 'cure' official name, but, I basically put it in the brining solution, and injected it into the meat down to the bone. It worked fantastically.....meat was pink after cooking, looked like commercial grade stuff. And it tasted good and kept quite well in the fridge for quite some time.

You might look into this if the color really bothers you....the color doesn't bother me on pulled pork, I'm used to it being that color, and I usually have a brown bbq sauce slathered on it on a bun with some slaw too....so, I don't see the color that much. But, if you want the pink color...you might look into using a cure.

I've only heard of doing cure mostly on hams...but, I'd guess it would work on a shoulder too....

HTH,

cayenne

Good info. I'm not concerned about the color, but it sure looks better when its pink and not gray.

Think it has more to do with the Poop they roll around in all their lives.
Or mabey cause it is the other white meat and when cooked, white turns grey or gray. Either way its still Yum - Oh.

They're all that way...

Why is it that wives are so picking when it comes to meat that may look spolied? My wife is the same way. I guess use guys will eat about anything. :grin:
Pretty much every woman I know has a general rule about throwing out food that has been in the fridge more than 2 days?!?!

I say, if it isn't blue, smelly or moving under its own power, it is still good.

Heck, a few germs ingested helps keep your immune system active and protecting you!!!

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....I've yet to make a guest sick.

Cayenne

I've found that if you let it cool a little more, that doesn't happen. Same with brisket. I try to always cook with time to let it cool (wrapped in foil) a good bit then slice and it doesn't turn gray.

Pretty much every woman I know has a general rule about throwing out food that has been in the fridge more than 2 days?!?!

I say, if it isn't blue, smelly or moving under its own power, it is still good.

Heck, a few germs ingested helps keep your immune system active and protecting you!!!

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....I've yet to make a guest sick.

Cayenne

I've got my wife trained to not throw anything I've cooked or bought away without checking with me first. She used to clean the fridge out every couple of days...drove me nuts. If it's her's she can toss it whenever, she still throws away her milk (skim, I'm still 2%) away on the date that is marked on the carton, I've tried to tell her that's the sell by date & the shelf life is about 10 days after that date.

Not sure...

I've got my wife trained to not throw anything I've cooked or bought away without checking with me first. She used to clean the fridge out every couple of days...drove me nuts. If it's her's she can toss it whenever, she still throws away her milk (skim, I'm still 2%) away on the date that is marked on the carton, I've tried to tell her that's the sell by date & the shelf life is about 10 days after that date.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about having that extra "X" chromosome, but, it does seem to carry with it tendencies to throw most anything out. Food....clothes (OH, that one gets to me), anything else that I might like to use....

Back