Do ya'll usually make your own spice rubs/mops or buy store pre made?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've just been perusing many of the threads here and I've seen a number of them with folks using store bought pre-made spice rubs. Just struck me a bit strange, I dunno why.

I try to as much as possible from scratch when I cook anything. I will say, there ARE some spice blends out there that are great. I mean, I live in NOLA...and I'd be lost without Tony Chacherie's creole seasoning. I basically use it in place of salt for most any day-to-day cooking, but when I fire up the smoker I just do my own spices.

Now, my stuff is VERY basic...when doing brisket, ribs, butt...etc. I pretty much do black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. I sometimes add or substitute a bit of sugar for pork.

I've just found that those seem to stand up to long smoking...and subtlety of other bits and pieces of seasoning are lost...at least I can't taste them.

But I digress. Just curious...how many of you regularly by pre made spice blends to use for rubs vs mixing your own?

For that matter, what about mops? Also, do many of you inject too? If so, store bought or home made?

Thanx!!!

cayenne

There is nothing wrong with using commercial rubs. There are a lot of great commercial rubs out there that companies have put in countless hours in making it right.

Now that being said, I do make my own rubs and sauces a majority of the time, but will use commercial rubs from time to time.

Both. I like something I found on the web called Magic Dust - it seems to go well on anything. Plus, if I see an interesting recipe, I'll mix up a batch and try it. Otherwise I'll pick from the proven results of the commercial stuff.

Make my own Rubs and Mops, it's easy todo and it's fun to tweak a recipe from time to time. I'd make my own BBQ Sauce but I really like Sweet Baby Ray's so I haven't found the need and when I use sauce I use a little.

I do get some of the commercial ones from time to time but my homemade rubs and sauces win the crowds are are easier on the wallet so I use them the most.

I agree, a little tweak from time to time gives it enough of a change.

i mix my own....usually the stuff in the stores premixed has fillers and anti clump stuff and all sorts of weird things

Used to make my own but then used mostly commercial ones for a while. Tons of Dizzy Pig and would also buy these yearly special packs of popular rubs and sauces.

Last few months - inspired by reading up on central Texas BBQ in prep for the trip we just took - I've been going simpler and simpler. Mainly salt and pepper.

Actually to be fair even before this central Texas kick I cooked Mark Bittman's simplest roast chicken a few times. Preheat cast iron pan in oven to 500 degrees. Season 3-4 pound chicken with salt pepper and olive oil. Place on pan, breast side up, and roast for 15 minutes. Then lower oven temp to 350 and roast until done, usually about 45 minutes. It is delicious and I drink the accumulated pan juices like soup if I don't stop myself.

Anyway, those two influences plus lots of what I read here lately have me making my own very simple rubs lately.

I do both, I have some favorite brands I use, and then add, supplement or just roll with my own rubs and such.

I buy them. Too lazy to make them plus I don't think I'd do as a Good as Stubbs, Sweet Baby Rays, PlowBoys, Butchers, Oakridge etc etc so why even try.

I used to do my own, tweaking some basic recipes. But once I sampled a few commercial rubs, I've settled on a flavor profile I like and I use them most of the time. Oakridge Black Ops, Plowboys Yardbird, and Bad Byron's Butt Rub are in the forefront of my spice rack.

I do both. I can't recommend Oakridge rubs enough due to their flavor and grind. But I HAVE TO HAVE my cabinets filled with every herb and spice I can so I can make whatever pops into my head. When it comes to building a crust(not a bark) on burgers and large roasts its hard to beat the kind of rubs you make at home using large chunks of the spices.

I'm just starting to make my own rubs/seasonings due to being in a small town in WV the only store we have here with rubs is walmart. and our walmart doesn't have a very good selection of rubs. they do not supply the flavor profile I'm looking for anymore, just getting burnt out on the very few options I have.

Considering ordering rubs online trying to find new flavors to try? would you guys shop on amazon? Is there better/cheaper places to buy rubs and sauces online? Does anyone have good suggestions for Rubs I could buy online that I couldn't get here?

I use about 90% commercial rubs and 10% home made. It is easier and less time consuming for me.

Mix my own. Purchased rubs tend to have too much salt and sugar for our tastes. Plus, I can tailor the rub to the flavor I'm interested in at the moment.

I use to use Memphis Meat Dust, and recently bought some Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple. That stuff is goooooooood!! For grilling beef I usually stick to Salt and Pepper.

Make My own, don't know if Iv'e ever made a batch the same way twice though.
Always the same ingredients, just say oops sometimes.

I buy mine Kosher salt & Tones Course black pepper, Slap Ya Momma oh almost forgot sugar & McCormick Season All.
Good BBQ don't need no sauce but I do give my Pig meat a healthy dose of Inner Beauty Habenaro Hot Sauce on occasion I not because it needs it I really like the sauce.

Last edited:
Back