Traditional Christmas Meal?

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My sister and I helped my mother and father move out of their house yesterday. They have lived there for 51 years! That's a lot of Christmas dinners! This year will be the first Christmas that we've had anyplace else. My sister has volunteered to host it so we were discussing the menu. For the past 10 years or so we have developed an odd traditional Christmas meal: Kosher Corned Beef and Salami sammies! The area where grew up was at one time predominantly Jewish and has a lot of great delis, but the area where my sister lives now and where I live now don't have any decent delis, so when we go back home we always buy corned beef and salami to take back with us so we decided to just make that our Christmas meal. Now the Christmas meal will be in an area where good corned beef is as hard to find as good BBQ so we were trying to figure out what to have. In order to stick to our new tradition a little I volunteered to make homemade pastrami. Everyone agreed so we had a plan. I'm going to buy a couple of flats and start corning them next week and then smoke them on Christmas eve. My sister is going to be in charge of rye bread, kaiser rolls and sides.

Then last night my phone rang and I saw my sister's caller ID so I answered and heard my 12 year old niece's voice,

"Hi Uncle Ron... You make the best pulled pork I have ever eaten. Can you bring pulled pork at Christmas?"

How can I say no to that? :-D So, our plan is now pastrami sammies and pulled pork sammies. I think I'll toss in some Hog Apple Beans and a couple of fatties while I'm cooking :rolleyes:

Sounds like the start of a new tradition! :biggrin:

Does anyone else have a unique traditional Christmas meal (besides turkey or ham)? I know that several brothers have tamales. What else?

Christmas Eve at my grandparents was always oyster stew.

Oyster stew at Parent's home.
Lutefisk at Grandma's.

Yep, oyster stew and chili at Grandma's.

We make a pot of chili - and we always have to have spiced grapes in lime Jello with mayonnaise along with the chili. Which reminds me - now that Christmas is only a couple of weeks out - it's time to start marinating the spiced grapes.

It became a tradition on Christmas Eve at Mothers for everyone to bring fingerfoods. We get together and pass out the gifts to the children and adults. Just enjoy being family.

We used to have goose but now we just have pork, dumplings and sauerkraut.

Great story Ron...gotta love those warm-n-fuzzies from the kids. I would say that our newest tradition is "BBQ". Since getting my first "WSM" for my birthday back in June we've been incorporating "Que" to all our holiday / family gatherings. :p:p:p

Christmas dinner at our house is always chinese....easiest and a great way to unwind from a busy time. Scott

Christmas Eve is our son's birthday. He is going to be 22 this year and we have always managed to keep Christmas Eve as birthday related. We had to work hard sometimes to do this, but we always felt it was important that he not feel "cheated." The tradition in our house is that on birthdays you pick the dinner menu.

Christmas Dinner is always ham, scalloped potatoes, a vegetable and homemade rolls. Always has been and always will be.

On New Years Day I make chili. This year it will be brisket chili!

Christmas Eve is at Big Al's aunts house - she puts on a huge buffet with good down home food - the kind that will stick to your ribs for days. Unfortunately this will not be the case as there has been an illness in the family. Let's hope and pray for next year.
Christmas morning is brunch with the in-laws, another spread featuring biscuits and gravy.
Christmas dinner is at our house with the traditional diner I had as a kid - prime rib, potatoes and something green...nice and simple after a hectic day. My mom and Big Al's folks are in attendence for that shindig.

We do not have a traditional meal on Christmas day.

Tamales, burrito meat, sopa, pintos, tortillas, chips, salsa....

On Christmas Eve we do the traditional Italian Feast of the 7 Fishes.
For my family it has been this way forever and will probably remain that way.

On Christmas Day we have no set tradition. However, Prime Rib has been the main dish for the last few years.

Whatever your family does, I hope you all enjoy and have a great holiday.

On Christmas Eve we do the traditional Italian Feast of the 7 Fishes. For my family it has been this way forever and will probably remain that way.

Would you mind explaining this one? Learning about other cultures/traditions is interesting.

Thanks

It became a tradition on Christmas Eve at Mothers for everyone to bring fingerfoods. We get together and pass out the gifts to the children and adults. Just enjoy being family.

When we had all five kids at home, we just set out crackers, dips and various other finger foods. With all the Christmas treats, they would never sit and eat a meal.
Dave

Stromboli....(kind of like Calzone)...a home made bread stuffed with ham, pepperoni, black olives, mushrooms, cheddar and mozzarella cheese...baked and served with spaghetti sauce over the top....we always make a bunch of these (as they are like individual servings) and heat up and eat on Christmas Day.

Chicken kiev - wild rice - scalped corn -fresh bread - pulled cake with fruit - wine - set to candles and soft music. Christ birth is read to put the reason for the season back in perspective.

Back