is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
What brand do you like?
Circle or square?
Stone or cast iron or steel?

Thanks

Will be used on very hot BGE

I have a Blackstone Pizza oven, so it comes with a stone that is very tolerant to high heat.

I wouldn't bother with store bought stones, as they tend to crack at higher temps and often don't last long.

California Pizza Stones make stones that are tolerant to temps up to 2300 degrees F, and make a wide variety of shapes and sizes:

http://www.californiapizzastones.com

I have one I have used in my Kamado and indoor oven for 7 years now, and it's still going strong.

I use a 3/8" one from baking steel. It ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

I have only been using a round, Pampered Chef stone that my wife bought 15+ years ago, so I only know it. I watched Alton Brown suggest that large cheap, unglazed tiles from the hardware store are a good alternative to spending lots of money, but I haven't had my hands one that was larger than 12". If you put 4 of those together, you could have a nice 24" square area for making pizza!

Any reason *not* to use an un-glazed porcelain or ceramic tile from the borg? Only a few $$s?

Only the usual negatives of fragility vs stronger materials. But, that's up to the buyer. I went baking steel because 1 I liked the product and properties and 2 my wife WILL BREAK ANYTHING that could possibly be labelled fragile by any stretch of the imagination.:heh:

Check out ceramic grill store in Denton tx, he sells all sizes for ceramic cookers but will work in any cooker.

Get one that is rated for grill use, like the BGE stone. I would avoid Pampered Chef stones. They hav been known to shatter with the heat of the grill.

I have only been using a round, Pampered Chef stone that my wife bought 15+ years ago, so I only know it. I watched Alton Brown suggest that large cheap, unglazed tiles from the hardware store are a good alternative to spending lots of money, but I haven't had my hands one that was larger than 12". If you put 4 of those together, you could have a nice 24" square area for making pizza!

Tiles come in many standard sizes, all multiples or fractions of 12 inches. 18X18 or 24X24 are stocked in the borg or tile stores.

As to shattering, never put a cold tile/stone into a hot cooker, bring it up to temp with the cooker.

Only the usual negatives of fragility vs stronger materials. But, that's up to the buyer. I went baking steel because 1 I liked the product and properties and 2 my wife WILL BREAK ANYTHING that could possibly be labelled fragile by any stretch of the imagination.:heh:

I use to just leave an 18X18 inch tile in the bottom of my oven, just move it to an oven shelf when needed, then back to the oven floor. Easy storage and is a good heat sink.

1/4” A36 mild steel is the best thing you can use for pizza.

Get some pizza screens and use the screen then no screen method

I bought a stone at the bbq store, one for high temps. The cheaper stones kept cracking.

Hard to beat a baking steel, does everything a stone does better IMO. If you can find a commercially made size/thickness that fits your BGE to your liking go for it.

If you can't quite find the size/shape you want, I'd lookup your local metal fab shop and take a drawing of the size/shape/thickness you want and let them know what it's for and that you'd like the sharp edges smoothed out.

It might not be as expensive as you think to have the perfect baking steel.

Hard to beat a baking steel, does everything a stone does better IMO. If you can find a commercially made size/thickness that fits your BGE to your liking go for it.

If you can't quite find the size/shape you want, I'd lookup your local metal fab shop and take a drawing of the size/shape/thickness you want and let them know what it's for and that you'd like the sharp edges smoothed out.

It might not be as expensive as you think to have the perfect baking steel.

Not to hijack, but it is related :-D

What makes a steel better than a stone? I’ve had my BGE stone for at least 10 years and it works great, but I have been thinking about getting a smaller stone for my PK360, but since it is essentially a rectangle, maybe a steel would be better?

Back