Scrap expanded metal to "hump" your brisket/ribs

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
#17 brisket "humped" over expanded metal in cryo. I did not want to use a piece of wood or can to hump the brisket this time.
Roughly 6" x 9" x 2 3/4" high

Rubbed and over hump

After 11 hrs @ 280*

Fatcap stuck to grate

Rested for 4 hrs

Worked so well I made another out of left over grate rod. Maybe the meat won't stick as much..maybe.

Even fits in the mini wsm. I've got some ideas for using it there.

Thanks for lookin.

I try not to hump my food before eating it :heh: Does it help tenderize it? :confused:

Looks good. Mine still stick to the grates even when oiled before a long cook, I accepted it.

That's a good idea, letting the meat even coming into contact with the hump still get basically the same amount of airflow and smoke as the rest of the brisket.

You can always oil your hump.... :heh:

Many years ago I posted the tip of putting a beer can under a brisket that was too long. The guy responded and said it worked great, but he added that next time he was going to use an empty beer can.

New to the Site and have smoked for a number of years, but have never heard of using something to hump your brisket. Please explain what the purpose and benefits are. Thank you. Bamapez.

New to the Site and have smoked for a number of years, but have never heard of using something to hump your brisket. Please explain what the purpose and benefits are. Thank you. Bamapez.

helps fit a larger cut of meat in a smaller cooker

One of those moments where you face palm and say "why didn't i think of that". :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most briskets over 15lb typically will not fit flat on a 22" grate without raising the middle section of the meat to help shorten overall length. If that makes sense.
Fitting a brisket on a 18" smoker is even tougher. Or a mini wsm.
This helps but also keeps all of the meat getting the heat/smoke thru the cook where typically folks use a piece of wood or can to raise up the center of the meat for a shorter overall length. The wood/can block heat from the middle section.
The expanded metal should be able to hold 2 briskets side by side and still work the same. Or hold 2 full racks of ribs.
This was an experiment/test.
I thought the idea might help some Brethren out looking for another way to get more meat on their smokers.
In the smaller off set smokers (20") you should be able to get more briskets/ribs on the grate using this method.

I have heard competition guys also do something like this to ensure even and consistent bark development. By "humping" the brisket, they minimize pools of juice from collection on top of the meat, thus enabling the bark to set.

I wish I would’ve thought of that when I had my egg. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really great idea! Probably also keeps the brisket liquids from pooling on top during the cook, which can impede bark formation. I like the fact the bottom is still exposed to the smoke!!

I’ll bet your bar version will work even better. I’ve always thought the close diamond pattern of expanded metal is what makes it more “sticky” to meat.

Really great idea! Probably also keeps the brisket liquids from pooling on top during the cook, which can impede bark formation. I like the fact the bottom is still exposed to the smoke!!

I’ll bet your bar version will work even better. I’ve always thought the close diamond pattern of expanded metal is what makes it more “sticky” to meat.

some guys tip briskets to clear out the pooling fat. I flip mine periodically.

BB ribs

Slathered 3 times with my homemade applesauce/chipotle sauce. You can taste the apple with a hint of hot. Which you can control by how much chipotle you add to the apple sauce. I used 3 heaping tbl spoons of chipotle/1 qt of my applesauce.

The raised/hump grate works great for holding 2 racks/better fit for the 22" grate.
I also use the apple/chipotle on yard bird, jerky, and to add some sweet/heat when smoking nuts. Lots of uses.
Thanks for lookin.

Back