Mini WSM upgraded again

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
tom
I had some steel rod for another project. But decided to use it for my mini.
I rolled 2 rings. One to fit the smokey joe bottom. One to fit the tamali pot.
Attached some 4 inch legs between the rings.
Now my mini will burn pure wood when wanted/conditions are safe to do so.
I might add some expanded metal around 2/3"s of the ring. To help stop ashes from flying when it get windy.
Anyway, lit some used coals, threw on a couple small splits. Could use small branch sections if you didn't have splits to make small.
With my drip pan on the second grate. It maintained 225* burning 1 split at a time, exh full open. Jump to 2 splits and your cooking at 300*. Pretty easy to maintain a steady temp with proper fire management.
Take the drip pan out. And now your grilling over an open flame.
This thing worked better than I hoped. Success!
Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• fire up coals ring.jpg
    fire up coals ring.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 245
  • ring in bottom.jpg
    ring in bottom.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 245
  • splits (1).jpg
    splits (1).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 225 deg.jpg
    225 deg.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 245
  • burning wood.jpg
    burning wood.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 247
  • with drip pan.jpg
    with drip pan.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 246
OK, I'm in - the infrequently used smokey joe is getting this mod...
If I make the ring spacer taller, can I hang spare ribs? :noidea:

OK, I'm in - the infrequently used smokey joe is getting this mod...
If I make the ring spacer taller, can I hang spare ribs? :noidea:

If you cut rib racks in half. I am able to hang already. Easier to hang two birds cut in half. Then stand up on grate to cook.
But that might work. Just not sure how much you'd have to block any breeze going taller. Could work great.

We mostly use the mini when we travel. But this will add another dimension of cooking.
I had nothing to lose really.
Here is my lower drip pan grate/adjustable hanging grate. Serves both purposes as required.

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 147
Bet that can get nice and hot!
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hot enough to grill. But i want to stay down/away from the 600* I hit on it. The tamale pot got a bit soft. Way to much wood. With gloves, the pot is easy to lift off.
But yes it will work great as a wood burning grill. :thumb:

It does have a cool factor working - for sure.

I was wondering about the tamale pot and how it'd handle a lot of high direct heat.

thanks for the share.

I used my MWSM as a wood burning grill a while back, propped the pot up somehow for better airflow, and cooked a tri-tip direct over red oak. That was the best tri-tip I've ever made. This looks way more elegant. Nice! You might consider selling these, because I'd consider paying for one.

I used my MWSM as a wood burning grill a while back, propped the pot up somehow for better airflow, and cooked a tri-tip direct over red oak. That was the best tri-tip I've ever made. This looks way more elegant. Nice! You might consider selling these, because I'd consider paying for one.
Thanks!
Your more than welcome to use the idea!
If you need any info, just ask.

I added tabs so the cooking grate would sit in the ring.
Allowing just another option for grilling. With added space/height over the stock grilling properties of the smokey joe.
Or using a cast iron pan and have easy access to add more wood/briquettes while cooking in a pan. When required.

Attachments

• fire ring grill grate.jpg
    fire ring grill grate.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 80
  • cast iron pan on fire ring.jpg
    cast iron pan on fire ring.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 80
Thanks!
The bottom section of the smokey joe has a rolled lip going completely around the inside. No tabs for holding the grate like other webers.
I made the bottom ring fit snug on that rolled lip/edge. So it could not tip easy if at all.
My sections are much stronger than the legs on the smokey joe. :thumb:
I see no reason for any problem about support. The legs would have go/bend first.
This is the 6th? mini I've built. Family and friends received em.
But this mod, I'm guessing I'll have to make a few more for family once they see this newest mod. Already made other hanging grates for them.

Back