Advice - Rust on Flame Shields/Heat Deflectors

tb80

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have extensive rust on the flame shields on my char griller duo. I probably only use the gas grill about once a month, and more often than not it is used to grill veggies or keep something warm when I run out of room on my weber OTS.

My concern is whether the heat on the rusted out flame shield and ensuing smoke can affect the quality of the food. When the gas grill is going, the flame shields are smoking. I was concerned about the toxicity of the smoke.

I could order new flame shields, but it would be about $45 from Char Griller, and I really don't want to pay that much for something I don't use very often.

So, two questions:
1) Is it bad to keep using the gas grill with the rusted out flame shields that are smoking?
2) If it is bad, does anyone know where I can get some generic flame shields or do some other type of easy/cheap mod? (I do not have a welder or any other metal cutting/modification tools).

I replace the shields in my old Webber gasser that my dad handed down to me with some angle iron. If you have a skill saw or a some other saw that you can get a metal cutting blade for should be fine. You can can get the angle iron from Lowes or Home Depot or most hardware stores, a scrap yard would be the cheapest.

I would make some to, cant see that grill being worth putting 50 or more bucks into

Back