Primo Temp Range

bggarric

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I've been looking at Primo Grills, and their literature states that the temp range is anywhere from 180-500. 500 seemed awful low to me for a max temperature on a ceramic cooker.

I was wondering for the Primo owners out there what is the temp range that you get (and that I can expect should I get one)? Is it about the same for all (BGE, KJ, Primo, GD, etc)?

Thanks.

A Primo will get as hot as any other ceramic grill. I've had one up over 700 at the dome thermometer, but frankly there is little good reason to run that hot as the dangers outweigh the benefits.

Remember that the temps quoted are at the dome thermo. The cooking temp at the meat level can easily exceed 1000 degrees if you are doing a steak directly over the coals with the racks in the lowered position. Bottom line: don't worry about max temps in a Primo Grill. It will get as hot as you need it to.

Last edited:
I have smoked jerky on mine at 150 degrees and I have cooked pizza and steaks at 800 (dome temps...grate temps are much higher when your lump burns at 1100 degrees). Honestly though, there is no need to cook at 800 degrees on a ceramic...on the primo, you can invert the main grates and get them 2 inches closer to the fire if you wish to....a dome temp of 400-500 does just fine - plus, if you cook at nuclear temps on any ceramic cooker (aside from a KK cooker) you are looking at cracked fireboxes and burned gaskets

Back