New Orleans French Quarter Nov 20-25

DMDon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on places to eat(non BBQ), places to see and live music. What are some good places with good music, where cover and drinks won't break the bank. We are considering taking a cajun cooiking class, any recommendations would be apprciated. Also any tours or other must do's that we should try?
Thanks in advance

The BonTon is a very good place to eat. Great crawfish dishes & excellent bread pudding.

I always have to go to the Camellia Grill (take the St. Charles streetcar thru the Garden District to RiverBend.)

http://www.camelliagrill.net/home.htm

Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro does a really good Bananas Foster cheesecake that is my wife's favorite.

http://www.copelandscheesecakebistro.com/

Lunch at Commander's Palace with 25 cent martinis is hard to beat. :lol:

http://www.commanderspalace.com/

Always beignets and coffee at Cafe Du Monde.

http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html

There are so many great places to 'gustate' in N'arlins that I don't think you'll go wrong stopping at any place at all...

The St. Charles streetcar line was down when I was there two weeks ago. Must be why my feet were killing me after the first day.
Dickie Brennan's steak & seafood in the 700 block of Iberville was really great.

The WWII museum and the riverboat cruise to the site of the Battle of New Orleans are worth taking in.

Isn't that the same time as the Bayou Classic? If so...attend the stomp-off.

Look up dons specialty meats and get some boudin. Unreal.

Nevermind, it's Nov 27th

http://www.statefarmbayouclassic.com/index.shtml

The State Farm Bayou Classic is more than just a football game; with its colorful and glorified history, the State Farm Bayou Classic is a unique family fellowship that exists within a football game. The State Farm Bayou Classic has become the greatest and most distinguishable sporting event in all of Black America.

Everyone loves a grudge match. And that's what football fans can expect at the 37th Bayou Classic sponsored by State Farm Insurance Companies. Every year, the game is a sell-out, attracting more than 62,000 fans. It'll be another terrific game this year as the Grambling State University Tigers and Southern University Jaguars football teams line up on the field to battle it out!

The gridiron match-up between Grambling State University and Southern University, two great Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) rivals, represents the best that collegiate sports have to offer: teamwork, tradition, passion and fierce competition.

My fav is the Crawfish A-toe-fay (sorry about the spelling) at the Bon-ton Cafe, and the Muffeletta at the Central Grocery.:thumb: Eat 1/2 the sammy, go drinking, then eat the other 1/2.:cool:

Oh, I'm all over the muffelatta. My wife even digs them. Where is the Central Crocery? What bars/clubs do you recommend, we will want to be able to kick back and listen some good music. Mostly blues/rock ie Stevie Ray Vauhan, Mustang Sally type stuff

My fav is the Crawfish A-toe-fay (sorry about the spelling) at the Bon-ton Cafe, and the Muffeletta at the Central Grocery.:thumb: Eat 1/2 the sammy, go drinking, then eat the other 1/2.:cool:

Hey, I've been meaning to call you. How are you doing? We need to get together, I have something for you. whats boudin?

Boudin is awesome. Dirty rice in a casing. Great spice. Clean out our pm box and I can email you.

Oh, I'm all over the muffelatta. My wife even digs them. Where is the Central Crocery? What bars/clubs do you recommend, we will want to be able to kick back and listen some good music. Mostly blues/rock ie Stevie Ray Vauhan, Mustang Sally type stuff

It's pretty much across the street (Decater street) from the Cafe Du Monde and down the street a bit. Just google it. Best ever.

Don't ignore uptown New Orleans (garden district).

Might have better luck finding that sort of music at the House of Blues and Tipitina's

Mothers is a good restaurant. So is Napoleans!

You have to go to Pat O'Briens for a Hurricane!

What's this hurricanne thing you speak of?

Is there a website or local paper/magizine that lists all the current and upcoming entertainment and things to do.

Are there any places/attractions/things to do, that we should not waste or time on?

Also thinking about an airboat tour, which ones are good?

Acme Oyster House (Iberville St. in French Quarter) is a must
Mulate's was OK (by Convention Center)
O'Brien's for a Hurricane
Margaritaville for a Margarita
Care du Monde for coffee (I know you don't drink it, but Sherry does)
Beers - anywhere that it's buy 1 and get 2 free

Museums
Make sure you go to the National World War II Museum. I thought I'd be there an hour or two - I think I was in there for 5 hours and I felt rushed.

Just make sure to allow time to walk around the Quarter to see the architecture and hear the sounds - lots to take in that we don't have in the midwest.

Keep anti bacterial cleaner in left front pocket and money/wallet/credit card in right front pocket while on Bourbon Street or in Lower Ninth Ward if you are down there.

Take good Cajun cooking notes - I want crawfish, oysters and gumbo for our Christmas meal.

Back