THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
I am planning a trip to the New Orleans Area in late spring. I'm not a party person so it will probably be after Mardi Gras in 2016. The weather will be warm, but not over-bearing with heat and humidity.

Any good recommendations on where to eat (nut just BBQ) but just good food in general. Clean wholesome places, not looking to have to dress up in a suit and tie just to get a meal if I don't have to. When I'm on vacation, I want to relax and enjoy the food and the surroundings.

Many many years ago I did eat at Cafe Du Monde and the Beignets still stand out in my memory (LOL).

Just trying to plan a leisurely trip.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated no matter what they are (large or small). From past experience I find many of the good places are off the beaten path.

I'll put the recommendations on my list of possibilities and choose the itinerary as I make my final plans. Thanks in advance...

The only folks that I've seen in NO wearing a suit were also in a casket. Cafe Du Monde is always a stop for us. I would also recommend the "Court of Two Sisters". It's a great place to eat. If the weather is good, you can eat outside under a canopy of some kind of vines. The service is wonderful and the food is delicious. Also, "Antoines" is good for eggs benedict. Good luck. NO is a good place to visit, just be careful where you go after dark.

Chris Ruth's is my go to for bloody Mary's
Ruby slipper for breakfast, the pulled pork eggs Benedict are great
Cochin is great IMO just to see the product and try new meats is pretty cool
Lucy's is pretty good
Acme oyster bar
Perinos boiling pot
Crabby Jack's has great po boys and fried chicken
I also just walk around the garden district and try new spots

All the above are pretty chill and not party spots by any means

Have fun

Family all over the NO area. Been several times. It is still a foodie destination.

Upperline is highly recommended if you'd like a taste of Cajun food. Their themed dinners are a lot of fun.

Oceana is tough to beat for seafood. I've had redfish and ahi -- both very good. The wife zooms in on the crab cakes.

Just in the mood for a Po Boy? Domilise's Po-Boys is the place to go. Be prepared for a line at prime times.

If you just have to have some BBQ, try The Joint. I don't go to NO for BBQ, but the relatives say it is very good.

Steak on the brain? Go to Mr. John's Steakhouse. You'll get a better steak at 60% of the price at Ruth's Chris.

In the mood for something different? Try the overlooked Lebanon's Café for their Middle Eastern food.

On Decatur near Jackson square is Cafe Maspero, very casual, good food. If you do need some good Q, VooDoo BBQ out on St Charles is always good. Street car stops right in front. All the other ones recommended here are good as well. If you have a few hours to spare, I highly recommend taking a class at New Orleans School of Cooking. Very reasonable and you get all the Abita beer you want!
Have a great time!

Highly recommend Coop's place for fried chicken. I smelled smoke when we were standing in line and then once we got in there is a stickburner out back, laying out perfect smoke. I asked the cook what they were smoking at the fried chicken joint, and it was Tasso. Really cool spot.

"From my nola people.....

these are all recommendations from my NOLA crew........ (this is a copy/paste from facebook comments, so forgive the prose)

"Brunch at palace cafe will yield Cochon du Lais eggs Benedict. Verti marte's 24 hour delivery of an all that jazz poboy will make him name his next child after it. A cab ride to Cochon will make him want to switch over to the dark side.

Bourbon house has a great oyster bar and an even better happy hour.

Green Goddess or Lillete for dinner. Root or Patois for lunch. Fat Hen or Atchafalaya for brunch

Satsuma or La Boulangerie for breakfast. Cure, Bombay club, or Tonique for licka

On the super cheap, turtle bay has kick ass pizza and a Cochon du lais po boy that will make a grown man blush. The 20 beers on tap don't hurt either.

Elizabeth's or Oceana for brunch
Domilise's, Liuzza's, and of course Central Grocery for a food poyboy/muffuletta. Turtle Bay for yummy BBQ pizzas!
Beer= Avenue Pub or sit on the outside patio at the Bulldog

Buffa's Sunday Jazz Brunch is pretty fun too! Fried green beans ftw!

And of course let's move onto the drinks: hand grenade (gotta have at least one), pat o's hurricane, pimm's cup from The Carousel Bar, Sazerac from the Sazerac Bar....just to name a few :)

Aunt tikis is the place to get down with cheap drinks and seedy people and a great juke box

I was gonna suggest some stuff in the M-I-D (Midcity) like Parkway Tavern, Doson Noodle House, Taqueria Guererro Mexico, or Venezia Italian, but seems things have already been sorted.

If you want a good burger, go to Yo Mama's on St. Peter between Bourbon and Royal.

**** Cafe at the Square for brunch we serve till 2 on the weekends. we are at saint Charles and poydras. Check out our website. Only a few blocks from canal street. Not a far walk."

Deanie's for great seafood. Nice place, no long pants/collared shirt required. If you don't want to wait in the long lines at Acme Oyster House, go across the street to Felix's Oyster House. Just as good oysters, fun shuckers and most of the time, no waits. Don't turn up your nose at the many Lucky Dog carts in the Quarter. Best chili dogs in town. Good when you've got a good drunk on and got the nibbles

Back