Freezer Alarm Works

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
46 Pounds of Orphaned Meat Found on my Doorstep

I came home today and found a large insulated box sitting on my top doorstep. I looked inside to find two twin packs of pork that contained 4 large pork shoulder picnics, totaling 46 pounds.

enhance

I found out that they came from a friend of mine who had been having problems with his walk-in freezer earlier this spring. The refrigeration unit is about 200 feet from the house no phone lines and no internet accessible at the pole barn. I suggested to install a temperature alarm that alerts him with text messages and/or e-mail.

I installed a programmable temperature alarm and tied it into his local alarm panel.
s-l1600.jpg

I then connected an Ethernet Module to the alarm panel.
e3slides.001.png

I then connected a set of point to point nano-beams to his house network to give him internet in the pole barn.
main-PTP.jpg

This now allows the alarm to send text messages / e-mails (free of charge) to several family members so the low temperature or power failure could be immediately addressed.

Just for convenience for him, I also added an access point to give him WiFi in the pole barn and at the cookers. The Access Point is actually now part of the home network, so it is a seamless transition without having to log into another network.

After I got the meat put into my refrigerator, I received a phone call telling me the alert that was sent had saved approximate 5,000.00 of his meat stock. It sent him an alert yesterday indicating that the freezer box had risen to 20 degrees. He checked the walk-in and found the compressor wasn't running, so he called for service and everything was fixed. The freezer never went above 23 degrees, so all of the meat remained frozen well below 32 degrees. Now it's back to normal running at -10 degrees.

He told me that every-time the system sends him a notification like that, he's leaving me another package when he places a meat order. I'll take it!

Dude,
introduce me to your neighbor... I need friends like this!

Your expertise was worth way more to him than a box of meat, and I assume his box of meat was worth way more to you than your effort to setup his alarm and network system. This is a classic case of win win commerce!

Good work.

I take it all that tech is independent of the barn's power supply?

I was following till temperature alarm then it translated to Greek...
That was a great set up and the fact you had a great solution for a friend is just awesome, big karma points and rewards too.

Good work.

Would like to know that as well Bob:becky:
What voltage is the board?

No, the alarm panel uses the 120 VAC from the barn and is then stepped down to 16.5 VAC by means of a plug-in transformer. The alarm then has a back-up battery to sustain it over time, in case of AC power loss.

One side of the nano-beam is also powered by the barns AC electrical circuit by means of a POE (Power Over Ethernet) injector, no back-up unless a UPS is installed.

If you are worried that the system would be dead in the water with a loss of power at the barn? The answer is no. The Envisalink module has a network heartbeat, and if it loses network connectivity (cut wires, power loss, ect) the host server sends out a network loss text / email message after a couple of minutes. The delay is to allow a minor hiccup in the network to come back online, if not the the message is sent via e-mail / text. At that point the property owner would then know that the situation needs to be looked at. It also sends a network restore, if it comes back on-line so that you know everything is functioning normal again before you get there.

Would like to know that as well Bob
What voltage is the board?

Both the programmable temperature alarm (Honeywell TS-300) and the internet module (Envisalink 4) are powered with 12 Volts DC from the host alarm panel. I should also note the the Envisalink module is only compatible with DSC and Ademco/Honeywell alarm panels (both available in Australia according to distribution). The module sends free text messages, e-mails, or a combination of both free of charge. It can be independently programmed to send any type of alert from the alarm panel; alarms, arming, disarming, troubles, ect.... Basically free alarm monitoring without someone calling you, however it puts the burden of calling the authorities on the person(s) receiving the message. This is great where the customer doen't want alarm monitoring, but would like to get free text notifications. The module also allows free visual interactive capabilities (arm, disarm, status) with the use of the free app.

The nano-beams (ubiquiti loco-M5) have a distance rating of 15 KM (9 miles) under ideal circumstances. These come with a POE injector powered by 120 VAC, but mine are powered with a 24 volt POE (Power Over Ethernet) Ethernet Gigabit Switch. I have used many of these to send surveillance video over the point to point network close to a half a mile away with 97% signal strength.

Last edited:
Thats great information
My backyard has 12 volt solar with around a 250 amp hour battery pack.
Honeywell has a very good name here

Thats great information
My backyard has 12 volt solar with around a 250 amp hour battery pack.
Honeywell has a very good name here

Tom,

If you need technical assistance, or product selection assistance, you have my e-mail address.

Here is a sample of messages sent from the on-board log which is retrievable from phone or computer.

9/23/2018 11:41 Freezer Alarm - Pole Barn
9/22/2018 10:09 Away Arm Mode - Pole Barn
9/22/2018 9:59 Opening By User Art - Pole Barn
9/22/2018 9:14 Closing By User Jim - Pole Barn
9/22/2018 9:14 Away Arm Mode- Pole Barn
9/22/2018 9:07 Opening By User Jim - Pole Barn
9/22/2018 3:13 Network Supervision Restore
9/22/2018 1:19 Network Supervision Fault

9/22/2018 0:28 Closing By User Amber- Pole Barn
9/22/2018 0:28 Away Arm Mode- Pole Barn
9/22/2018 0:25 Opening By User Amber- Pole Barn

You'll see where the module was off line while some network equipment was added and changed.

Back