Depression era Chocolate Cake

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So decided to bake a dessert for dinner tonight and ice the cake a bit later once it cools.
I planned to do this earlier but had a bit of problem with the pellet grill due to some really low quality pellets but I got it all cleaned out and filled up with new pellets. So baking the cake now.
I created my own chocolate frosting too. My wife said we had icing but I decided to check out some recipes and well I created my own recipe based off a few different ones. The original recipe did not have chocolate and a lot less milk and less flour.
I never made a cake before but depression cake is so simple and not very ingredient rich.
Apparently it has been called Depression Chocolate Cake, wacky cake, war cake, and a whole bunch of other names but all the recipes are pretty much the same thing. Seems to be very little difference. Some have icing and some don't and I did see one suggesting throwing powdered sugar over the top by dusting it over it.
Still trying to get my wife to agree to eat Hoover Stew but I guess she has her limits. :laugh:

So decided to bake a dessert for dinner tonight and ice the cake a bit later once it cools.
I planned to do this earlier but had a bit of problem with the pellet grill due to some really low quality pellets but I got it all cleaned out and filled up with new pellets. So baking the cake now.
I created my own chocolate frosting too. My wife said we had icing but I decided to check out some recipes and well I created my own recipe based off a few different ones. The original recipe did not have chocolate and a lot less milk and less flour.
I never made a cake before but depression cake is so simple and not very ingredient rich.
Apparently it has been called Depression Chocolate Cake, wacky cake, war cake, and a whole bunch of other names but all the recipes are pretty much the same thing. Seems to be very little difference. Some have icing and some don't and I did see one suggesting throwing powdered sugar over the top by dusting it over it.
Still trying to get my wife to agree to eat Hoover Stew but I guess she has her limits. :laugh:

That's a recipe even I can follow! ;-)

Looks great.

We call it Goofy cake in our house and enjoy it often.

I grew up on "wacky" cake, with cream cheese frosting. Yours brings back fond memories!

As I understand it there are two kinds of depression era recipes. For lack of better terms there are city recipes and country recipes.

City recipes would use very little butter, eggs, milk, and other things that were in short supply in the cities.

Country recipes would be made around those ingredients plus others commonly available on small farms. One of my favorite pies was syrup pie from the depression era (or earlier). My grandparents had very little sugar back then but plenty of homemade cane syrup. Thus syrup was used as the sweetener for the filling. Flour and lard or butter were available for the crust. Spices were in short supply so a combination of what was available was used. The primary seasoning was, of all things, vinegar. Hence the pie's other name. Vinegar pie. Sadly her recipe is misplaced. Maybe I'll find it one day.

Back