i need a brisket

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
hey guys, i think i've been granted another shot by my comptroller. :wink:

i think i need to cook a better quality brisket than i have been. i've been using RD, choice or their "angus", whichever i felt was best that day.

i can cook an OK brisket but don't have any illusions of getting a top 5 in the category however if i could improve my score a bit it would obviously help my overall.

SRF is out, just too pricey. i've talked with endicott in brooklyn and paradise meats, very helpful people both, but still a tad steep with shipping.

could anyone suggest a step up from RD in the tristate area in a reasonable price range? i can't seem to find a local butcher who can provide what i'm looking for.

TIA

You can also ask your local Sam's club to order in a case of prime briskets. They carry them at the store here. It can be misleading because their meat is called something like Sam's Choice Meat but the briskets are stamped prime by USDA.

You can also ask your local Sam's club to order in a case of prime briskets. They carry them at the store here. It can be misleading because their meat is called something like Sam's Choice Meat but the briskets are stamped prime by USDA.

interesting, i had no idea. i will look into that. thank you.

i think i need to cook a better quality brisket than i have been. i've been using RD, choice or their "angus", whichever i felt was best that day.

TIA

I'd stick with the Depot brisket. Find a nice 18+lber and wet age it. Not sure cooking a "better quality" brisket for the first time at a comp will help

i'm stealing my daughters kindle fire tonight and buying that damn book already! :becky:

I also agree with IQUE.

The problem may not be with the quality of the brisket as using better quality does not necessarily mean an improvement in scores. It took me almost four years in competition to finally get a handle on the brisket category. I used RD "Angus" for most of that time. Once I improved my technique, my scores started coming up. Only after I was comfortable with my new found technique and started getting calls on a regular basis did I move up in the quality of briskets I use.

i have heard that philosophy before, and agree.

BUT, i need improved results NOW. pressure is on to perform in order to continue...

with that said, i think my technique is sound, and i'll be honest, i took ryan(big t'z) and joe's(tippycanoe) class and pretty much use their process for brisket, because it was better than mine in predictability and consistency. i haven't had their success though....

thus my quest for even a slight bump in results.

i will, however, take the advice given here and in PM's about aging a RD and test it out.

thanks again everybody!

i should add, their teachings hasn't failed me, it was exceptional, but there a few things they do i simply cannot. so i'm looking to compensate a bit.

Last edited:
I'd stick with the Depot brisket. Find a nice 18+lber and wet age it. Not sure cooking a "better quality" brisket for the first time at a comp will help

Chris, I agree with that for a first timer, etc. But are you cooking Wagyu, prime or just choice. I have a neighbor in the meat business and he says prime brisket is a misnomer. Says to just go with choice. My Wagyu briskets have absolutely sucked to this point. I don't like them and the scores agree with that.

Chris, I agree with that for a first timer, etc. But are you cooking Wagyu, prime or just choice. I have a neighbor in the meat business and he says prime brisket is a misnomer. Says to just go with choice. My Wagyu briskets have absolutely sucked to this point. I don't like them and the scores agree with that.

I cook wagyu. My comment was more oriented to cooking a grade/type of meat for the first time ever at a contest can be risky.

If you choose to go a different route you really should order at least three of em. Practice on at least one of them and save the best one for the contest.

Given budget is a concern I still hold that trolling RD for 18+ with a killer flat is the way to go.

I cook wagyu. My comment was more oriented to cooking a grade/type of meat for the first time ever at a contest can be risky.

If you choose to go a different route you really should order at least three of em. Practice on at least one of them and save the best one for the contest.

Given budget is a concern I still hold that trolling RD for 18+ with a killer flat is the way to go.

Not that my opinion means much but I am with Chris on this one.

Not that my opinion means much but I am with Chris on this one.

absolutely. i practice and preach(though have been disagreed with), don't run something you're not familiar with at a comp. try it at home first!

Thanks, Chris. The beauty is that I'm 5 miles from Paradise Meats and I can get them right out of the cooler, which helps on the budget part.

If I can ask w/out getting too personal, are you using the recipe in your book for those Wagyu briskets? I have only used one in a comp so far, but that score was worse than my RD choice briskets.

I know I need to take a class and get over it, but I feel like I've lost all confidence in my ability to cook brisket. Have been far from DAL at any comp, but I just want to know what it will take to get me in the top 10...

Sincerely,
Farking Frustrated!

Thanks, Chris. The beauty is that I'm 5 miles from Paradise Meats and I can get them right out of the cooler, which helps on the budget part.

If I can ask w/out getting too personal, are you using the recipe in your book for those Wagyu briskets? I have only used one in a comp so far, but that score was worse than my RD choice briskets.

I know I need to take a class and get over it, but I feel like I've lost all confidence in my ability to cook brisket. Have been far from DAL at any comp, but I just want to know what it will take to get me in the top 10...

Sincerely,
Farking Frustrated!

:pop2::becky:

... i took ryan(big t'z) and joe's(tippycanoe) class and pretty much use their process for brisket, because it was better than mine in predictability and consistency...

Interesting, maybe you should share and then we can tell if their recipe is more geared towards Wagyu grade or Choice grade? :tape:

Back