Recommendations for a dead simple knife sharpener

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Howdy folks! Would appreciate your recommendations for an easy to use knife sharpener. Here's the issue:

My uncle Joe is a real sweet guy. He's literally a working Joe, salt of the earth kind of guy. Raised 5 girls on a modest salary, does all of his own home projects (e. G., he dug through the basement of his North Philly row house to find the city sewer line so he could add an extra bathroom).

Anyway, Joe is a sweetheart who loves to cook. We talk food every time we visit, usually while enjoying something hes made. Last time I went to visit, he was talking about his knives. He's got a decent set (not sure what), but he can't sharpen them the way he used to. He's got a grinding wheel that he's used forever, but he's no longer physically able to get the knives sharp...he's had both shoulders replaced, one of them twice, and he's ready for the next shoulder surgery on the other arm. So, the last time he went to sharpen his knives, he totally screwed the edges up. He just physically can't do it anymore. Unfortunately, he's a proud old bugger, and he's still going to try to fix them using the tool that he's got.

I was considering getting him a new set of knives just to start over with something decent. But, I KNOW that the first time he goes to sharpen the new ones, he's going to end up messing up the edge. I think a new sharpener would be better for him.

I would like to get him something that's dead simple to use...that doesn't require time and training to master. I've got an old Chefs Choice 100 that I'd consider donating. But, I would appreciate others thoughts on something simple to use that might be an alternative to the Chef's Choice.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

I bought one at a local kitchen store for $1.50. It's basically a v groove with 2 ceramic rods as 45 degree angles. You frag the knife back across that in a slicing motion. Works quite well.

Wow! Thanks for the prompt replies!

Q: can these quick sharpeners bring a damaged blade back to life? Or, are they better suited towards maintaining an edge?

Bruce

Thanks for asking the question, BDAABAT, I've been wondering about this myself the last few days. Fantastic timing!

Q: can these quick sharpeners bring a damaged blade back to life? Or, are they better suited towards maintaining an edge?

Bruce

I use a similar designed quick sharpener. Mine is a Sharp n Easy (tm) brand, but I have re-sharpened severely dulled knifes in the kitchen and I even got my Kershaw - Ken Onion designed pocket knife to cut paper. Just use a blade steel when you are done to hone the edge and remove any burrs. These quick sharpeners are shaving the metal off the edge into the correct angles and creating the sharp edge in the process. It won't be as nice an edge as the Spyderco Sharpmaker system, but is useful and quick, that for your buddy, even he could sharpen his knives.

Attachments

• Sharp n Easy knife sharpener 001.jpg
    Sharp n Easy knife sharpener 001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Sharp n Easy knife sharpener 002.jpg
    Sharp n Easy knife sharpener 002.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce

I've used these type of quick sharpeners for many years; and liked the
results, in that it put a quick edge on the knife. However, in recent years
I find myself in a situation similar to that of your Uncle......my eyesight isn't
as good as it used to be, my hand isn't as steady as it used to be, and
other problems make it hard to stand still to put a proper edge on a blade.

A couple of years ago I finally bought an electric knife sharpener. I had
seen the show on "Americas Test Kitchens" about knife sharpeners; and
the "Chefs choice" model they suggested was too expensive for me. So
I bought another brand that seems to do a very good job for me. I also
came to the realization that those "quick sharp" sharpeners weren't
working as well as I had thought they were; for all those years of using
them. The electric sharpen can put a better edge on a knife than I was
able to get when using the quick sharpener.

SO, I think the best choice for your Uncle; is the "Chef's Choice" sharpener
that you mentioned....you may want to show him exactly how to use it
so he gets the best results from it though.

Thanks again for the comments!

@Griilman: yes, that's what I was thinking would be ideal... Bring along my old Chefs Choice sharpener, then show him how to use it. Unfortunately, we're a 4 hour drive from his place...and with the rest of the family and work schedule, I don't think we will be able to get there for another couple weeks. I was hoping that I could get him something to help out over the holidays.

I don't know for sure, but if I had to bet, I would expect that if I sent him the Chefs Choice in the mail, he wouldn't read the directions.... He'd probably try to use it in the same way that he's using the grinding wheel. :)

I think I have a plan....send him one of the inexpensive manual sharpeners to get him through the holidays, then when we have more time, arrange a proper meeting, cooking, eating, and training session.

Thanks again for the feedback! Love this site!!

Bruce

I was going to say the Sharpmaker too, but after reading your post am thinking he will have trouble with that as well if he can't do it on a wheel.

Here's a suggestion:
You get a sharpmaker, and offer to sharpen his knives for him "to get practice on your sharpener" (not because you know he can't).
Everybody wins! (he gets sharp knives and you get an awesome sharpener)

That thing gets blades crazy sharp, and is super easy.
You'll love it. (you will need the diamond sticks though).

Good luck.

Bruce

For the one I suggested, it's more of a maintainer. If the blades are truly euchred, I'd suggest you bring them somewhere to reestablish the edge.

This last post by BBQJack is the one most important in this thread, we all have missed the point that no device is going to bring a workable bevel back to those knives and you need to pack them off to a pro shop and get them reworked first.
Maybe make that the second part of the gift, coz you need to do that as well as get him a sharpener he can use.
I also am a knife snob and am surprisingly pleased with the chefs choice electric sharpener, when it comes time to do that.

I have a Minosharp 220BR

http://www.minosharp.jp/

I don't have Global knives but this is a great little sharpener - it even bought my Parents knives back to a decent sharpness (they get put into the cutlery drawer and get bashed, knocked etc) after years of being blunt!

Back